Environmental ManagerIndianapolis Plant, IN
Vertellus is a dynamic global organization with more than a century of leadership in manufacturing health, agriculture, and performance chemicals. Our company is also a leading provider in the world of specialty chemicals for agriculture, nutrition, pharmaceutical, fine chemicals, medical, personal care, plastics, coatings, and many other industrial markets. Our products are in the things you use every day - toothpaste, deodorants, vitamins, pharmaceuticals, detergents, plastics, adhesives, inks, tires, and more. Our culture is built on mutual trust and respect for all employees to focus on providing the best products and solutions to our customers.
At Vertellus, we hold ourselves and each other Accountable for Delivering Results with a Bias for Action while always acting with the utmost integrity, this is truly what it means to be a Vertellus employee. We take great pride in displaying our Core Values through our work and our teams.
The Environmental Manager is responsible for coordinating the compliance of air, water, and waste, and regulation for the facility. These regulations include CAA, CWA, RCRA, SARA, CERCLA, DEA DHS, ATF, and their state and city equivalents. Tasks include, but are not limited to permitting, compliance inspections, agency reporting and record keeping. The Environmental Manager will provide technical support for plant projects to help ensure that the company maintains an awareness of and cost effective compliance with all applicable environmental statutes, regulations, and permits.
- To comply with company Health, Safety and Environmental policies, procedures and arrangements
- To report all Health, Safety and Environmental accidents, incidents and near misses promptly
- To act in a safe and responsible manner at all times
Role Specific Responsibilities:Permitting:
Reporting and Record Keeping:
- Acquires and maintains compliance with all permits and registrations including timely submittal of application, testing, reporting, and recordkeeping.
- Files a variety of reports in response to environmental permits and regulatory requirements
- Reports are due monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually, biennially, and as other trigger events take place.
- Maintains accurate records and ensures accessibility for review by Federal, State, and City inspectors
- Provides technically sound and legally defensible information for multiple customers, projects and production units
- Maintains a current working knowledge of applicable regulations and statutes and actively participates in internal company initiatives, as a team member or in a leadership role
- Formulates compliance strategies, define solutions, develop action plans, organizes technical information
- Lends technical expertise and support to both internal and external customers, acting as an internal consultant to company personnel by reviewing their project plans and advising on regulatory/technical interpretation
- Tracks and develops substantial understanding of specific local, state, and federal, including CERCLA, SARA, CAA, RCRA, and CWA
- Provides regulatory updates through written correspondence, oral presentations and group meetings to inform management of compliance with new regulations
- Regulatory opinions are provided to facilities and management on specific activities regarding the impact of environmental regulations
- Directs the development of compliance plans and programs for the plant as well as providing assistance in executing plans and programs
- Participates on Regulatory Management inspections and conducts facility inspections and follow-up to assure compliance with the regulatory requirements
- Participation in Agency inspections and compliance meetings is required
- Develops and tracks department and waste disposal costs
Problem Solving and Innovation:
- Active participation within continuous improvement activities
- Participates in problem solving
- Takes responsibility and ownership for own learning and development in the spirit of continuous improvement of both self and the business
- Assists in the training, mentoring and assessment of other team members
- Exercise's autonomy and judgement subject to overall direction or guidance
- Bachelors Degree in quantitative science, EHS or Engineering required
- Minimum of 7-10 years' experience within regulatory management or related discipline required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated experience planning and managing cross functional teams and projects
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to adapt quickly to changing business needs and priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to flex own style as needed to influence and drive results
- Ability to work within a multi-functional, global organizational structure and exhibits robust interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work within a fast paced environment
- Critical thinking skills and analytical abilities which allow assessments of situations and opportunities
- Exhibits a passion for continuous improvement and problem solving
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications such as Excel, Word, Power Point
- Embodies the Vertellus Core Values:
- Accountability: Takes ownership and holds him/herself and others accountable
- Deliver Results: Takes personal responsibility for performance and business results
- Bias for Action: Plays to win and gets the job done
- Integrity: Acts ethically, with integrity to do things in the right way
If you have the energy, drive, and passion for joining the Vertellus team, we would love to hear from you. Apply today!Vertellus offers competitive total compensation packages, including benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, paid time off, and paid holidays. Vertellus is a global Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information, or any other protected category.