Job DescriptionOnsite Location:
3215 Merryfield Row, San Diego, CA
The Vertex Summer Internship Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are fearless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their summer project plan, connect with other interns, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will interns learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams through a series of Professional Development Workshops.
Be FEARLESS... Join us and help kick start the path to your career!Our San Diego Site:
With ~235 employees and 195 in research, 60% of the site's property is dedicated to lab space, housing 25 different types of labs. Vertex's San Diego scientists discovered our CF medicines. Established in 2001, our teams carry out research in chemistry, biology, engineering, and computational sciences. San Diego scientists also record and maintain our global compound library, where more than 2 million vials of medicinal compounds are stored for use in research activities around the globe. Our one-of-a-kind instrumentation team has built, deployed, and supported more than 70 custom instruments and systems over the last 17 years.Job Description
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. is seeking a highly motivated, creative, and innovative intern student in Chemistry or Chemical Biology to join our San Diego Chemical Biology research group. Our team is dedicated to identifying lead molecules, validating target engagement, and enabling novel assays. As part of this internship, the candidate will have the opportunity to work with scientists from chemistry and chemical biology, protein sciences and instrumentation team.Key Responsibilities
- Perform chemical reactions to synthesize both known and novel molecules
- Isolate newly synthesized chemical compounds by means of automated flash chromatography and preparatory
high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Characterize purified chemical compounds by means of high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and
- Write experimental procedures in a publication-ready format using electronic lab notebook
- Participate in scientific discussions with Vertex scientists in order to grow scientifically
- Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing as well as interact cross-functionally
- Experience performing single and multi-step organic synthesis
- Practical knowledge of standard purification techniques (e.g. flash chromatography)
- Practical knowledge of NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry
- Candidate must be enrolled in a graduate degree program in Chemistry or a related field
- Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States as Vertex does not sponsor student work visas
- Ability to work 40 hours per week
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.