Dark Moss is a landscape architecture design firm + arboriculture and urban planning consulting firm located in Tampa, Florida. Our firm provides a full suite of natural resources permitting and consulting services, including tree inventories and disposition plans, mitigation plans, landscape plans, permitting, public outreach, and land planning.
Dark Moss seeks a full-time consulting arborist or urban forester to work in the Tampa Bay Region and West Central Florida. The position requires a person who:
- enjoys alternating between working indoors on computers and outdoors on inventories;
- enjoys learning how land development codes use the natural environment to improve the built environment;
- has a compassionate, solutions-oriented approach;
- recognizes that teamwork extends beyond the office walls.
We are a small, family-oriented, close-knit business. Our office is a studio environment where collaboration and innovation are encouraged and expected.
We offer competitive compensation, a Simple IRA plan, paid time off and holidays, access to training & continuing education programs, and flexible office hours.
Job Activities: tree inventories, tree risk assessments, report writing, tree disposition plan preparation, project management. Weekly travel within the Tampa Bay Region is expected, and occasional travel across Florida may be required. Expect to:
- Conduct tree assessments following industry standards and in alignment with local guidelines
- Prepare arborist reports (using Word, Indesign, and Acrobat).
- Address frequent emails and manage overlapping project schedules (using Outlook).
- Tabulate code compliance and mitigation requirements (using Excel).
- Manage projects and team members.
- Maintain accurate records (timesheets, expenses, mileage).
- Help develop firm procedures through collaboration and documentation.
Preferably, the candidate will:
- Have a B.S. degree in horticulture, urban forestry, or a closely related field.
- Have a minimum of three years' work experience in urban forestry or a related field.
- Be able to identify trees and plants in Central Florida.
- Be able to assess tree health, structure, form, and assess risk.
- Be comfortable with the computer programs mentioned above and be willing to develop mapping/drafting skills in AutoCAD Civil 3D and ArcGIS.
The candidate shall be an ISA Certified Arborist in good standing.
Personal and Physical Requirements
- Be able to way find in wooded and urban environments while making relevant observations.
- Be able to translate observations into logical, practical statements or recommendations.
- Be able to base professional opinions on industry standards or research.
- Be able to be on time and focused, prepared for the assignment.
- Be able to adjust and invent, prepared for the unexpected.
- Have a valid Driver's License and clean motor vehicle record.