232! That's the number of products in the Novartis 2021 R&D pipeline.
The Chemical Biology & Therapeutics (CBT) Data Science group, part of the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) in Cambridge, MA, USA is seeking a passionate Computational Biology Scientist to impact our early discovery pipeline for identification of new drugs and targetable biological functions.
The CBT group is positioned to impact the various Disease Areas at NIBR, through technology development and innovation, the application of high-throughput screening and profiling platforms, and ensuing data-driven decision-making.
You will work closely with biologists, chemists, screeners, and data scientists, in a very collaborative environment. With a large amount of data already available from in-house high-throughput screening and profiling platforms from initiatives, consortia, and project-specific datasets, you will propose new ways to look at these data and prioritize actionable hypotheses our teams of scientists can move forward. You may contribute to current technologies development and innovation.
The position requires a very curious, enthusiastic, and open attitude. You will integrate findings from different teams and projects, seek out knowledge and expertise, eagerly learn new technologies, data platforms/types, propose novel solutions, and address questions for the team colleagues. Additionally, you will identify and develop ways to render large data and multiomics integrations usable by our scientific community.
You should demonstrate leadership and be independent. The position in an environment where leadership is encouraged at all levels will allow you to take ownership in their activities and develop them within a global vision of how we exploit data.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Early targets and drugs discovery project teams support.
- Identifying drugs/targets associations including for new drug modalities (e.g., targeted protein degradation) through activity-based profiling datasets, e.g., high throughput transcriptomics, chemical proteomics, genome-wide screening data (CRISPR, RNAi).
- Proposing actionable hypotheses, ability to communicate sophisticated subjects towards a community with a broad background.
- Adapting practical processing/analysis solutions for experiments, datasets with changing requirements.
- Innovate new methods for interpreting and enabling data utilization, visualizing, and sharing large datasets.
- Contribute to developing processing/analysis workflows for novel technologies in a format amenable to teams taking over the routine data processing/analysis activities.
- Show leadership towards promoting data initiatives in the group's global vision.
What You'll Bring to the Role:
- The successful candidate would have a Ph.D. Degree with significant post-doctoral or industry experience, and a publication record in data science, computational biology, bioinformatics with a strong emphasis on demonstrated (published) life sciences direct laboratory experience or collaborations. Candidates with a hybrid wet to dry lab, ‘in-transition' profile, are encouraged to apply.
- Hands-on analytical experience with different Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)/Omics experiments data processing, analysis, and multiomics integration. Some experience with genomics screening (CRISPR, RNAi), plate-based or pooled NGS-based is welcome
- Proficient in Python/R, SQL/database content creation, experience scripting in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Excellent communication, written and oral English; additional language a plus.
- Knowledge of collaborative coding environments, e.g., git
- Some proficiency with the generation of visualizations and interactive dashboards for sharing data with teams, e.g., DASH, Streamlit, RShiny, R Markdown, Jupyter Notebooks,
- Experience with Pipeline code integration tools (e.g., Cromwell, SnakeMake) welcome
- Exposure to machine learning models and libraries welcome
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse team's representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations:
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.