Environmental Geologist/Scientist-Pittsburgh, PA
APTIM Environmental & Infrastructure, Inc. is currently seeking an Environmental Geologist/Scientist on a full-time basis for their Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania office to participate in the development and implementation of site investigations and remedial actions. This may include the design, installation, and monitoring of groundwater, surface water and soil gas monitoring systems, collection of surficial and subsurface soil samples for environmental and geotechnical purpose, participation in the design and implementation of both in-situ and ex-situ remedial actions. Occasional travel to other project sites in the general geographic area may also be required. Strong interpersonal skills are a must, including the ability to clearly and confidently communicate, both written and verbally, to all project team members including client representatives, regulators, and colleagues alike. The successful candidate will participate and/or lead field activities and assist in document preparation.Key Responsibilities/Accountabilities:
- Collect environmental samples in the field from various media including groundwater, surface water, soil, and vapor.
- Calibrate, maintain, and utilize various field monitoring and measuring instruments.
- Apply basic technical skills and knowledge to complete assigned tasks; expected to manage own time to meet established deadlines.
- Analyze and prepare raw data into workable form for engineering/scientific project reports, plans, specifications, permits, cost-estimates, and other project documents.
- Work may periodically involve installation, operation, and maintenance of remediation equipment (pumps, process equipment, piping install etc.) and supervising other field tasks such as installing and abandoning monitoring/recovery wells
- Communication of technical concepts, evaluation results, plans, reports, etc. during work team meetings; ensures conformance to applicable technical standards as well as company policies and procedures.
- Proficient in planning, conducting, and analyzing aquifer tests.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment, provide input on technical, project, and safety issues.
- Possess a "Safety First" work ethic.
- Bachelor's degree in Geology/Environmental Science or Engineering, or related degree required.
- 2-5 years of experience conducting field investigations and supervising contractors.
- Possess 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER training with current 8-hour refresher certificate.
- Ability to wear proper PPE for work on hazardous waste sites; lifting and physical work will be required.
- Must be able to work in the field in all types of field conditions/weather.
- Must possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Core competency in Microsoft Office Products, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Vaccination against the COVID-19 virus is required for this position. APTIM will consider requests for exemption due to a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief or practice .
Current GIT certification or able to obtain GIT certification
Working knowledge of scientific computer programs and groundwater models
Experience working in a wide range of geologic environmentsWhat We Do:
Whether it's safeguarding and maintaining critical power infrastructure, helping communities recover from natural disasters, enabling our armed forces and first responders, or transforming landfills into public parks, we go to work each day knowing that we are making an impact on the world. These are huge responsibilities, and we take them seriously.
Thinking differently and challenging the norm is our mandate. Every day we plan for the unexpected, develop critical insights, and deliver new, creative adaptive solutions. We do this by leveraging teams that include engineers, scientists, builders, economists, craft professionals, procurement, logistics and process experts.Who We Are:
APTIM specializes in engineering, program management, environmental services, disaster recovery, complex facility maintenance, and construction services.
Serving Government, Oil, Gas, Chemical, Industrial, Commercial, and Power clients, we are your partner and relentless advocate