Research Scientist - Chemical Process Development Sublime Systems 444 Somerville Ave Somerville, MA, 02143 Background & Overview
Cement is one of the most massively consumed materials in the world. Each kg of cement results in a kg of CO2released to the atmosphere, amounting to 8% of annual global CO2 emissions. Demand for cement is increasing as the world's population grows and urbanizes.
Better, greener ways of making cement are needed if we are to curb CO2 emissions and mitigate global warming.
Sublime Systems is developing new technology to make CO2-neutral cement using renewable electricity instead of fossil fuels. Sublime was founded by Dr. Leah Ellis, one of MIT Technology Review's 35 Innovators under 35, and Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang, serial cleantech entrepreneur in MIT's Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Sublime is backed by leading cleantech investors including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon Capital. Position Overview
Sublime Systems seeks a research scientist to contribute to the development of our cement manufacturing process. This contributor will be responsible for conducting research including hands-on lab-scale testing, data analysis, and literature reviews, and will work with the rest of our engineering team to scale our technology. As a member of Sublime Systems' small but growing team, the research scientist will work closely with the company's leadership and will make a large impact on the development of our technology. This is an exciting opportunity to combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes cement. Responsibilities include:
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Developing new experimental methods and tools to drive the improvement of Sublime's cement manufacturing process
- Performing lab experiments including synthesis and materials characterization, analyzing data, and presenting results
- Contributing to the development of Sublime's process through literature reviews and informational interviews with industry experts
- Contributing to the development of Sublime's complete, innovative solution
- Championing safety, especially in the development of experimental processes and in the construction of Sublime's pilot plant
- Helping to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company culture
The role will focus on chemical reaction engineering, continuous reactor design, and material synthesis and characterization. This role is expected to be hands-on, with significant time spent in the laboratory. The ideal candidate will be independent, results-driven, ambitious, organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
- B.S. or M.S. in chemical engineering or a related field plus three or more years of relevant experience in research and development on chemical processes or systems, OR Ph.D. in chemical engineering or a related field.
- Strong grasp of chemical engineering and chemistry fundamentals.
- Knowledge of chemical reaction engineering and continuous reactor designs, ideally including precipitation and dissolution processes.
- Ability to select and perform analytical techniques for physical and chemical characterization of solids and aqueous solutions.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The Berkner Group has been engaged to execute this search. If you were contacted by The Berkner Group, please reply to the person who contacted you. If you are applying to a job posting, please email your resume and a brief introduction to email@example.com. Please include your name and the title for this position ("[Your name] - Sublime Systems - Research Scientist) in the subject line of your email. We look forward to hearing from you!