Job Description Marine Mammal/Protected Species Observer (MMO/PSO)
Boston Harbor, MA Project Schedule & duration:
Monday-Sunday (4 hours a day shifts- during blasting hours)Start Date:
ASAP REMSA Inc. www.remsainc.com is seeking a Marine Mammal/Protected Species Observer (MMO/PSO) to perform work (on a vessel), near a marine construction project in Boston Harbor, MA, for one of our clients. This is a three (3) to Four (4) month contract opportunity, with competitive pay rates, and per diem associated.
JOB DESCRIPTION: (INDEPENDENT CONTRACT POSITION)
MMO/PSO will conduct observations and mitigation measures in, Boston Harbor, MA, during daylight hours. MMO/PSO will maintain watch for marine mammals in all impact zones of the project operation.
This MMO/PSO Job include, but are not limited to the following:
- Identify marine animals to species.
- Record sightings, distance, and behavior of marine species.
- Maintain organized and up-to-date logs.
- Utilize optical equipment to assess distance, species, and behavior of marine mammals.
- Follow and implement all protocols as outlined in the Marine Mammal Monitoring Plan.
- Monitor and record environmental data.
- Prepare and submit daily, weekly, and monthly forms and reports.
- Proactively communicate with team members and construction personnel via radio.
- Proactively communicate with on-site project personnel to initiate project shut-downs when necessary.
- Report interactions with endangered/threatened species to construction personnel, the Company, and governmental agencies as instructed.
- Follow boat safety protocols.
- Clean work area daily.
MMO/PSO may be required to work during inclement weather conditions.
- Be a US Citizen or authorized to work in the U.S without sponsorship or restrictions.
- Must have an Endangered/Protected Species Certification (approval) from National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
- Have a valid Transportation Worker's Identification Card (TWIC).
- Valid Driver's License & Clean Driving Record.
Bachelor's Degree in Marine Biology, Ecology, Zoology, or related field.Experience and skills:
- Prior marine mammal observation experience and training courses.
- Knowledge of Marine Mammal Protection Act and Endangered Species Act.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to follow safety protocols and technical instructions as required.
- Excellent Communication (orally, by radio and face to face) and writing skills.
- Experience and or training in construction operations.
- Experience and ability to conduct field observations and data collection.
Based on qualifications and experience.Lodging- provided near/in Boston Harbor. Application Instructions:
Interested applicants should send the following application materials asap: Detailed resume documenting all relevant experience, education, and skills.Copies of NMFS approval/certifications, PSO/MMO training certificates & TWIC Card.Cover letter outlining your qualifications to perform on this project.Three professional references including phone number and email address.
Submit all materials as attachments: PDF files or MS Word files via email to the email@example.com or fax to 757-722-4571.Application Deadline:
To Be Determined REMSA Inc. Supports a Drug-Free Work Place
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability