Description Job Description:
This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center at Leidos currently has an opening for a Research Associate / Senior Research Associate - Biology, to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated scientist for advanced technology programs focused on molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics / genomics. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong Molecular, Biochemical and/or Synthetic Biology laboratory and analytical skills as well as experience in mammalian and/or microbial cell culture and biology techniques.Primary Responsibilities
- Contribute to the design and execution of experiments in the areas of microbial engineering, prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein expression, synthetic and systems biology.
- Support assay development using novel molecular and genomics-based methods
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
- Qualified candidates should have a Bachelor's and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Master's degree and 2+ years of academic or industry experience (additional experience will be considered)
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Biology, Microbiology, or related discipline with technical experience (experience obtained during Master's degree can be counted towards total years of experience)
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Laboratory skills: Microbial or mammalian cell culture, nucleic acid extraction/purification/quantification, cloning, standard protein detection assays, and cell transformation/transfection
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Heterologous protein expression (mammalian and/or bacterial systems), protein purification, and characterization
- Protein engineering
- Experience with NGS processing and analysis
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- Experience with genetics/epigenetics
- Possess US Government Security Clearance