Due to continued regional and corporate business growth, we have an exciting opportunity for an EHS Specialist at our Martinsville VA food manufacturing complex. This is an entry level role with the intention to progress into increasing responsibility at this or other Monogram locations. This is an opportunity to mentor directly under a 30+ year experienced EHS veteran. Flexibility of initial work-shift flexibility in initial assignment is necessary. This is a growth position - versatility for career growth through interim and permanent reassignment (within the US) is integral to this assignment.Duties and Responsibilities:
Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain understanding and knowledge of current federal, state, and company regulations and policies. Inform organization of changes and administer actions to maintain compliance.
- Priority to inclusion /ownership of all site team members:
- Perform job hazard analysis
- System auditing,
- Ergonomic task analysis.
- Facilitate and participate in incident / root cause analysis process to determine and correct root cause.
- Lead and provide visible presence to implementation of Safety Management System to the site (ANSI Z10)
- Assist in preparation of the Facility EHS Plan each year, review with the local management team, and direct its implementation.
- Lead and manage implementation of injury reduction efforts. Promote and drive "Zero Injury Culture" initiatives.
- Support the tracking, reporting, and interpretation of operational safety performance.
- Analyze new equipment and verify operator safety.
- Conduct safety training programs for all levels of operation.
- Provide leadership and support for the plant safety committees.
- Lead operation to world class safety and environmental practices.
- Assist organization by participating in special taskforce assignments and special projects.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide a regularly visible presence to evening and night shift operations.
- Assist with and help lead/manage permit or environmental plan requirements, ensuring compliance.
- Assist with the Environmental Steering Committee to help develop goals and work with site management to achieve.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Ability, through interpersonal communication skills, to influence peer site leadership and most importantly hourly team members in the prioritization of employee safety priorities.
- Ability to contribute to identification of and statistically documented improvement in waste stream strategies.
- Ability to prioritize and balance, with full execution, the expectations of site leadership as well as corporate leadership.
- General Safety and Risk Management experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to implement safety policies and practices.
- Applicable knowledge of State and Federal OSHA regulations.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Must have analytical reasoning and problem solving capabilities.
- Balanced approach to technical, business, and people aspects of business.
- Applicable knowledge of Environmental practices, Federal and State rules and regulations .
- Food, Beverage and /or Pharmaceutical GMP experience is helpful
* BS degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Engineering, Science or related field
* Experienced preferred however, recent graduates are encouraged to apply