A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 58,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
US employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your start date unless an accommodation is granted by The Company. The Company uses the definition of 'fully vaccinated' assigned by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention for purposes of considering satisfaction of this requirement which is a condition of employment.Your Role:
As the Environmental Health and Safety Specialist at MilliporeSigma in Madison, WI, you would be responsible for creating, implementing, and maintaining all environmental and safety programs. As the EHS Specialist, you would also be responsible for staying educated on the regulatory changes which may affect the organization. You would be responsible for collecting, delivering, preparing, and transferring many types of chemicals and other sensitive/hazardous materials around the job sites. You would also be responsible for conducting inspections to ensure that all equipment and processes meet business and regulatory requirements. Additionally, you would make sure that EHS materials are maintained, assist with training other employees in departmental processes, and make sure that employees are following guidelines. This position is dedicated to site support at all Madison & Verona, WI locations.PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist is responsible for collecting, delivering, preparing, and transferring chemicals and other sensitive/hazardous materials around the job sites.
- EHS Specialist will be conducting inspections to ensure that all equipment and processes meet business and departmental requirements. Also, ensure that all employees are following EHS guidelines. Performing industrial hygiene work and report writing. Along with other compliance activities.
- Monitor EHS related materials at designated locations, such as PPE, ergonomics, air quality, fire safety, and waste disposal.
- Understand, apply, and document federal and state regulations, identify problems and suggest remedies.
- Adept with regulations, including OSHA, CAA, RCRA, CWA, SPCC, DOT, HAZWOPER, Fire Protection, Hazardous Materials and other related laws and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write scientific reports from analytical data to summarize results of industrial hygiene studies.
- Ability of using various scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Ability to effectively detect and solve problems.
- Knowledge about the chemical compositions, structures, and other important properties of chemical substances.
- Ability to work effectively even under pressure.
- Expert time management skills.
- Conduct and/or coordinate employee and contractor safety and environmental training programs and assist with emergency response training drills. Maintain documentation records and coordinate and/or provide make-up training.
- Assists in developing a sustainable safety culture by engaging the workforce through hazard recognition process and providing clarification on EHS procedures.
- Support SDS management including safety data sheet requests to the Product Safety group, review and resubmit, if necessary.
- Support/manage ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 programs.
- Skill in working with agencies such as EPA, OSHA and state and local environmental and regulatory authorities.
- This position has the authority to make and apply labels and sign DOT hazardous materials Shipping Certifications. Ships all articles, including hazardous materials, in compliance with applicable governmental regulations. This includes packing, marking, labeling, and documentation.
- Assembles boxes, arranges supplies and prepares and maintains area for shipments. This includes maintaining inventory of packing supplies and proper requisitioning for transfer of packing supplies to keep shipping area adequately stocked.
- Effectively organizes and maintains the storage of hazardous waste. Carefully moves material in a timely manner to storage or designated areas. This may require operating a forklift, pallet mover, drum dolly, or other similar equipment.
- Conduct periodic EHS inspections and site audits (internal, regulatory and customer).
- Assist in the implementation of programs to reduce risk to employees, contractors, and the environment.
- Strictly adheres to the personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements as established by company policy.
- Attends, and is punctual for, appropriate meetings and training in-services.
- Conduct and/or coordinate periodic site inspections, such as fire suppression systems, safety showers, SCBAs, etc. Maintain and/or calibrate EHS related equipment, such as SCBAs or industrial hygiene sample pumps.
- Collect air and/or surface samples for industrial hygiene and Grade D breathing air verifications.
- Organize and maintain EHS records.
- Supports and/or performs chemical risk assessments.
- Support data management for site metric reporting.
- Support and/or coordinate incident investigations.
- Support and/or coordinate ergonomic projects.
- Support Process Safety Management program at the Verona facility.
- Support regulatory reporting requirements for air, storm water, wastewater, hazardous waste, TRI, Tier II, etc. Environmental compliance standards especially pertaining to chemical manufacturing.
- Support Occupational Health and Safety standards especially pertaining to chemical manufacturing, maintenance activities and product distribution.
- Plan emergency preparedness and response related to; fire, chemical, medical and nature caused events.
- Knowledge of fundamental chemical laboratory safety.
- Knowledge of Hazard control methods.
- Hazardous waste control and disposal.
- Industrial ventilation (general and local exhaust).
- Personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Support respiratory protection program, including selection and fit testing of respirators.
- Basic hazardous work (confined space entry, hot work, and line breaking) fundamentals.
- Flammable and combustible liquids safety fundamentals.
- Basic life safety (emergency egress, lighting, and alarms) practices.
- Basic fire detection and suppression methods.
Who you are:Minimum Qualifications:
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in environmental, health & safety field of study or chemistry, biology, or other related field.
- Previous experience and knowledge in environmental health and safety compliance. An understanding of the applicable laws and regulations enforced by OSHA, USEPA and WDNR.
- The ability to operate equipment including forklifts, pallet & drum dollies and EHS related scientific equipment.
- Additional experience with industrial hygiene sampling and monitoring, hazardous materials, and chemistry lab experience is beneficial.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEED
This position requires the ability to:
- Don/doff and wear PPE including emergency response equipment.
- Walk and climb steps routinely.
- Work in ambient temperature and humid environments.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to move full 55-gal drums with a manual drum dolly.
- Work flexible hours supporting a 24/7 work environment.
This position either reports directly to the EHS Manager or site management.What we offer:
With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!Our Benefits -
Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
If you are a resident of a Connecticut or Colorado, you are eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 855 444 5678 from 8:00am to 5:30pm ET Monday through Friday, for assistance.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.