Hope. Care. Cure. These three simple words capture what we do at Seattle Children's - to help every child live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible. Are you ready to engage with a mission-driven organization that is life-changing to many, and touches the hearts of all? #HOPECARECURE
As one of the nation's top five pediatric research centers, Seattle Children's Research Institute is dedicated to providing hope, care, and cures to help every child live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible.
Our investigators are involved in hundreds of projects that cover every phase of research, from studying how diseases work to improving investigational therapies. They have pioneered groundbreaking cystic fibrosis treatments and cutting-edge cancer therapies that help a child's immune system defeat cancer, and made other major contributions to pediatric medicine.
Researchers work in close collaboration with one another, their colleagues at partner institutions including the and and our healthcare providers at Seattle Children's Hospital, one of top children's hospitals. This collaboration is one of our key strengths, allowing our faculty to draw on a variety of disciplines and techniques as they pursue solutions to some of medicine's most complex problems.
We are committed to not only treating disease but to eliminating it. Help us achieve our vision of being a worldwide leader in pediatric research aimed to improve the health and well-being of children. If you are interested in a challenging career aimed at groundbreaking research, Seattle Children's Research Institute is the place for you.
We are actively seeking a Computational Biologist, Lead/Data Scientist, Lead with flexibility for our top candidate to reside in Washington, Florida, Georgia, or Texas.
As a Lead Computational Biologist on the Research Scientific Computing Team, you'll work with scientists, clinicians, developers, analysts, and business owners in a team-driven, agile environment to develop and scale bioinformatics and data science results and products. Using traditional bioinformatics applications combined with modern big data technologies, our team enables the Institution to better leverage high throughput multi-omics analyses to accelerate translational research and improve patient care. Collaborate with researchers across multiple disciplines to develop solutions and tools to advance research with advanced analytics. Provide support and training to researcher partners to improve technical literacy and programming skills across the organization. Dive deep into vast repositories of structured, unstructured, and streaming data to find the input for models. Provide technical and scientific leadership for the team, including adoption of new technologies, approaches, and platforms to support the funded research objectives of our research partners. Lead and triage consultative and collaborative efforts with research partners as the primary conduit between researchers and analysts. Provide technical and scientific leadership and support the development of analysts, engineers, and data scientists on the team.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a STEM or relevant analytical field that demonstrates analytical and technical competency and 8+ years as a Senior Data Scientist OR a Ph.D. in a STEM or relevant analytical field that demonstrates analytical and technical competency and 3+ years or relevant work experience in data science
- Highly skilled with multi-omics or multi-modal high dimensional data analysis and pipelines, e.g. next-generation sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, epigenomics, phenotypic readouts, imaging, and clinical data
- Expert in one or more high-throughput methods such as GWAS, WES, WGS, RNA-Seq, ssRNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, etc.
- Significant experience developing and using statistical models and algorithms to drive scientific inquiry
- Advanced experience in at least one data science language (e.g., R, Python)
- Experience in data extraction using at least one data manipulation language/package(e.g., SQL, R-dplyr, SAS DATA step, Python-pandas)
- Experience working with source control tools and version management
- Expert in use of data visualization and communication for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience interacting with technical and non-technical leadership as a member of a delivery team supporting integrated data science products and solutions for a wide range of customer groups, including ability to listen and understand customer questions, issues, and concerns, both technical and operational
- PhD in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics or related discipline with experience in high-throughput methods such as WES, WGS, RNA-Seq, ssRNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, etc.
- Experience with large-scale studies such as GWAS, population genetics, and systems medicine approaches
- Expert with command line, linux environments, and running jobs on high-performance computing clusters
- Advanced knowledge of cell and molecular biology
- Solid understanding of biostatistics and experimental design principles
- Experience with ML applications for scientific problems is a plus
- Familiarity with scrum/agile development best practices
- Experience mentoring junior team members
In accordance with Washington state law, Seattle Children's requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All offers are contingent and your vaccine status will be verified at onboarding.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
Our community welcomes diverse experiences, backgrounds, and thoughts as this is what drives our spirit of inquiry and allows us to better connect with our increasingly diverse patients and families. Our organization recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The people who work at Seattle Children's are members of a community that seeks to respect and celebrate all the qualities that make each of us unique. Each of us is empowered to be ourselves within this community, which cultivates and promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion at all levels.
Seattle Children's is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Workplace and Affirmative Action Employer