We are seeking a talented and driven Research & Development Scientist to join our dynamic and fast-paced start-up. The successful candidate will be involved in early-stage research through product development of new molecular assays for detection and characterization of microorganisms in clinical (Clear Dx platform) and food safety (Clear Safety platform) applications.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Develop novel DNA/RNA molecular assays utilizing next-generation sequencing (NGS)-based technologies
- Optimize assays to achieve a high level of stability, robustness, and performance.
- Perform verification and validation testing with a high degree of scientific rigor.
- Provide technical leadership for experimental design and data analysis.
- Be a key contributor to the product design, including vetting user requirements and translating requirements into design specifications for the development of high quality, customer-focused products.
- Stay abreast of technological advances and implement as appropriate for product improvements (performance, COGs, throughput, etc.).
- Demonstrate the feasibility of new methods, and efficiently move products through pipeline up to and including transfer to manufacturing and scale-up.
- Identify and mitigate product and project risks.
- Contribute to both internal and customer-related troubleshooting efforts.
- Document work, and create presentations to communicate progress and assist with decision making.
- Conduct clear and concise communication with colleagues (cross-functional) and supervisors through oral updates, written reports, and technical meetings.
- Be both a strong individual contributor as well as a collaborative team member.
- Mentor junior scientists.
- PhD or equivalent in molecular biology, genetics, genomics, microbiology, biochemistry or related fields.
- Deep technical knowledge in genomic methodologies (RT-PCR, multiplex PCR, nucleic acid quantitation) and a comprehensive knowledge of NGS sample preparation and sequencing methods are required
- 3 or more years experience in commercial product development (industrial or academic setting)
- Be hands-on in the lab and be able to work in a team environment and independently
- Demonstrated ability to plan hypothesis-driven experiments, analyze data sets, interpret results, document reports and present results
- Experience with design, execution, and analysis of DOEs
- Experience with bioinformatic analysis of NGS datasets using R, Python, etc. will be a plus
- Adept at troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Excellent oral and written interdisciplinary communication skills
- Be highly committed, operate well under pressure and deliver results in a fast-paced, technically challenging environment
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- "Can do" attitude, resourcefulness to adapt and high energy are desirable attributes
- Full medical, dental, vision insurance
- Onsite organic snacks
- Lunch onsite 5 days a week
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Stock Option Plan