POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Microbiology Laboratory Associate conducts microbiology testing on raw materials, in process materials and finished products.
- Aseptically performs microbiology sampling, plating, and testing of samples daily.
- Conducts microbiological qualitative or quantitative analyses by meticulously following all SOP's and laboratory methods.
- Daily, check and record temperature of all refrigerators, freezers, and water baths in the Microbiology department.
- Daily, verify and record calibration of the top load balance used to weigh samples.
- Maintain proper record keeping for media preparation, the autoclaves, pH.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all microbiological tests that are assigned to a Laboratory Associate. This includes submitting accurate and timely results based on the analysis.
- Stay up-to-date on new regulations and current events regarding food science.
- Identifies and communicates results that require further discussion with Department Manager/Supervisor.
- Assists in maintaining quality system records to comply with all accrediting agencies.
- Perform regular maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments by inspecting, calibrating, cleaning, or sterilizing.
- Learns new techniques and technologies as appropriate.
- Participates in special projects as assigned by the Department Manager/Supervisor.
- Provides technical support or assistance within the Microbiology Department and works effectively with other departments.
- Maintains a clean and sterilized laboratory environment.
- Other duties as required.
- In a timely manner performs microbiology testing while maintaining a high-level quality of service.
- Performs preliminary sample preparation.
- Perform, monitor, and report analytical testing in areas of the Microbiology Department.
- Accurately reports results based on the analysis.
- Actively participates in Quality Control testing on proficiency and any other check samples deemed appropriate by the Microbiology Department Manager.
- BS degree, preferably in Biology/Microbiology or related sciences; current employees without the required degree have been grandfathered based on their years of experience already in the position.
- Good conceptual basis in biology with proven ability to perform basic microbiology techniques.
- 2 years laboratory experience.
- Critical thinking - using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. * Excellent organizational skills - ability to use your time, energy, resources, etc. in an effective manner.
- Strong relevant qualitative and quantitative skills.
- Time management - one's own time and the time of others.
- Training - teaching and guiding others how to complete a process from beginning to end.
- Good communication skills - speaking, reading, writing and listening.
- Basic computer skills with some LIMs experience.
- Manual dexterity.
- Ability to distinguish colors.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods.
KEY POSITION COMPETENCIES TO BE MEASURED:
- Orientation to detail
- Team Player
Job descriptions are not intended to be, and should not be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all the duties and responsibilities performed by job incumbents.
Key Words: Microbiology, Food Safety, Food Science, Micro-Technician, Lab-Tech, Laboratory Technician, Biology, Animal Science, Nutrition, Bacteria, Pathogen
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Laboratory: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location