The Environmental Health, and Safety Manager reports to the VP of Engineering and is responsible for the implementation of policies to ensure a safe and healthy work environment. This includes coordination of safety and compliance for multiple buildings and or sites, including hosting inspections by regulatory agencies at all levels. Evaluate safety protocols and organize safety training companywide. The ideal candidate will have experience in medical device and or pharmaceutical manufacturing, with specific knowledge of Chemicals, Solutions, Biological Buffers, Media and or like products. Reliable transportation and a flexible schedule are a mustDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the Safety Program, which includes focus on CALOSHA/OSHA, EPA, and County Compliance, regulatory agency inspection readiness, and for-cause inspections.
- Oversees Safety Material Data Sheet (SDS) for incoming, and outgoing products.
- Heads programs for on-site chemicals with local Fire Department, Waste programs, and Hazardous waste.
- Recommends systems for safety inspections and or audits; writes plans, coordinates scheduling, conducts and writes reports related to safety.
- Follows-up on corrective actions. Ensures proper coordination of internal and external initiated inspections and or audits and manages regulatory facility inspections.
- Inspects the facility to identify safety, health, and environmental risks on a regular basis.
- Develops and implements inspection policies and procedures, and a schedule of routine safety inspections of all areas for PPE, and buildings for compliance.
- Oversee Forklift program
- Oversee Respirator program
- Assure acceptable driver status of company vehicles, and other transportation methods used by company.
- Prepares and schedules training to cover emergency procedures, workplace safety, PPE, Equipment Safety, and other relevant topics.
- Monitors compliance with safety internal procedures, and external regulations.
- Drafts inspection reports to document inspection findings.
- Ensures that material safety data sheets (SDS's) are maintained and readily accessible
- Maintains records of employee exposure to hazardous waste and/or pollutants, as required.
- Participates in improving Laboratory Safety
- Creates and maintains chemical list for all buildings and works with local agencies such as FD, EPA, County, CAL OSHA, and others regarding permits and or licenses
- Heads Safety Team meetings and records minutes, and actions related.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Manages documentation, reporting, and closure of compliance issues.
- Conducts trend analysis of safety inspection Executive management with initial root cause analysis.
- Ensures all investigations are performed and closed in a timely fashion. Monitors and reports adverse events.
- Prepares and conducts the Quality Management Review meetings with senior management.
- Advises executive management on environment and compliance trend impacting our business.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field required such as Chemical Engineering preferred
- Five years experience in related industry as a minimum preferred
- Functional working knowledge of requirements for CAL-OSHA, and OSHA, and EPA required.
- Hazwoper Certification preferred, including OSHAS 18001, and ISO 14001
- 29 CFR Part 1910 - OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH STANDARDS knowledge
- ISO 13485:2016, 21 CFR 820 and other applicable regulations desirable
- Good human relations and oral/written communication skills
- Must be have working knowledge of computers, and MS Office applications including MS Word and MS Excel
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management, problem prevention, and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to sit for up to 4 hours while using a computer
- Ability to go from site to site by own transportation methods
- Ability to access areas of the facilities that may require use of a ladder