Next-generation circular RNA therapeutics company built on technology from a world class academic lab and funded by some of the best VCs in the business is seeking a Director to lead the Biology and Pharmacology team developing our next generation nucleic acid medicines. The role will develop and execute the target and disease biology approaches for the R&D organization. The position will be a key member of the R&D leadership team and an effective mentor to both the Biology and Pharmacology team as well as other members of the R&D organization. This position will work closely with the CSO and other functional leads in selection of diseases and targets that fulfil significant unmet clinical needs. The position will be expected to be a voice for the selection of candidate programs both within the R&D organization, the organization as a whole and wider stakeholders. They will be expected to maintain a strong scientific network across the areas of portfolio interest.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in leading biology/pharmacology teams in industry, experience in nucleic acid medicine therapeutics, a startup mentality and the desire to be at the cutting edge of a new field of therapeutics. The ideal candidate will have a track record of delivering multiple programs in an area of interest (gene therapy, liver disease, immuno-oncology, autoimmunity, infectious disease, or vaccines) to the clinic and strong industrial background developing nucleic acid therapeutics such as gene therapy, siRNA/ASO or mRNA/RNA.Responsibilities:
- Build, lead, and manage the Biology and Pharmacology team responsible for in vitro and in vivo biology studies
- Effectively communicate and influence program and target choices within the organization
- Coordinate resource planning both within the Biology and Pharmacology team and across functions/programs
- Facilitate cross-functional team meetings and program reviews to track and coordinate activities
- Manage team to proactively identify and quickly resolve issues
- Oversee facilities and laboratory operations as they relate to the Biology and Pharmacology team
- Drive excellence from third-party service providers such as CROs
- Identify tools to build a world class Biology and Pharmacology function for RNA medicines.
- PhD in biology, pharmacology, or a related field
- Significant industry experience developing therapeutics in one of the following areas: gene therapy, liver disease, immuno-oncology, autoimmunity, infectious disease, or vaccines
- Expert-level knowledge of nucleic acid therapeutics
- Proven track record of translating biological insights into testable hypotheses
- Experience managing high-performing and collaborative scientific teams
- Highly self-motivated and an effective communicator