Job DescriptionDiscovery Biologist
US-NY-New YorkJob ID:
Regular Full-Time# of Openings:
Research & Development
Deerfield Discovery and Development, LLC (3DC) is the drug discovery and development arm of Deerfield Management Company, L.P. ("Deerfield"), an investment firm dedicated to advancing healthcare, and is engaged in drug discovery research in collaboration with faculty from top universities across the United States. 3DC plays a critical role in identifying and progressing early-stage therapeutics from scientific discovery through clinical proof of concept, via rigorous due diligence of proposals, and design and execution of relevant experiments for approved projects. 3DC partners closely with principal investigators in Deerfield's academic collaboration network, corporate and CRO partners to progress projects to value inflection points, and partners with Deerfield's investment colleagues to execute the optimal monetization strategy for each project.Title:
Discovery Biologist (DB)
3DC seeks an experienced Discovery Biologist to support our small and large molecule therapeutic discovery and development programs. As a member of multiple project Core Teams, the primary responsibility of the Discovery Biologist is to provide scientific and operational support with respect to their function, and for their projects generally, and to ensure the efficient execution of the biology strategy primarily through coordination of CRO activities.
The successful candidate will collaborate with a Discovery Biology Lead and broader project teams (including colleagues from Medicinal Chemistry, Translational Sciences, DMPK, Safety Assessment, and Research Informatics) to design, develop, and apply biochemical, biophysical and cellular assays to identify and characterize active compounds during lead discovery and optimization to test pharmacological hypotheses, and ultimately to identify outstanding candidates for clinical evaluation. The DB will also contribute to the design and execution of exploratory studies intended to identify and confirm proximal and distal mechanistic and pharmacodynamic markers, and to partner with Translational Sciences and In Vivo Pharmacology on the development and confirmation of patient selection hypotheses and associated biomarkers. The DB will be further responsible for the generation of reports in support of stage-gate nominations, publications, patent filings, and IND submissions. The DB must exhibit an energetic and innovative approach to problem solving. Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a desire to work in a fast-paced, flexible and dynamic environment is required. ResponsibilitiesKey Responsibilities
- Provide scientific and operational support to drive multiple (2-4) therapeutic discovery projects from target validation through to clinical candidate selection across varied therapeutic areas
- Serve as a key member of project Core Teams, working collaboratively with colleagues from Medicinal Chemistry, Translational Sciences, DMPK, Safety Assessment, and Research Informatics to deliver key milestones and ultimately first-in-class and/or best-in-class clinical candidates.
- Coordinate project activities with CRO biologists located in China, India and Europe.
- Liaise with the principle investigators and their teams at the academic institutions to align on project deliverables and timelines
- Assist with identification and implementation of emerging key technologies
- Maintain the highest level of scientific rigor and professionalism within our organization
Key Skills and Capabilities
- MS or Ph.D. in biological sciences with experience in Pharma / Biotech as a discovery biologist
- Experience in the design, validation and implementation of cellular and biochemical in vitro assays in the context of a screening cascade
- Experience in the therapeutic areas of oncology and inflammation is a plus.
- Experience participating in project teams to drive projects from target validation through to clinical candidate nomination.
- Demonstrated ability to manage timelines while advancing projects
- Strong scientific reputation, as evidenced by publications, patents, and invited presentations.
- Knowledge in the design and execution of exploratory studies intended to identify and validate pharmacodynamic and predictive biomarkers
- Understanding of fundamental principles for related disciplines, such as medicinal chemistry, DMPK, and safety assessment strong preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrix environment and experience working in a global environment is a plus.
- Collaboration and relationship building - Works well with others, leveraging skills to deliver high overall team performance. Is open to diverse perspectives and will challenge their own thinking
- Adaptability - Anticipates potential issues and quickly changes course to maintain high performance levels, reacts quickly and positively when presented with challenges or new direction
- Strategic Thinking - Identifies the critical data insights without becoming entrenched in detail. Anticipates future scenarios and builds plans that harness critical data and external trends and insight
- Results orientation and team performance - Builds robust plans and objectives with engagement of others, drives performance against timelines ensuring a focus on safety, integrity, compliance, quality and service.
- Coaching - Identifies strengths and development needs of others to drive optimal performance levels. Devotes time to coaching and mentoring individuals to accelerate their development
- Communication skills - Strong written, presentation and verbal communication skills are essential.
New York, NY (preferred), with some working remotely permitted.
3DC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to religion, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, alienage or citizenship status, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, disability, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.