Bloom Science is developing living drugs derived from keystone human gut microbiota to treat unmet neurological and inflammatory diseases. Our lead program is focused on refractory epilepsy and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis? (ALS). We also have discovery programs in inflammation and longevity.
We are seeking a skilled synthetic biologist to apply a deep understanding of microbial biology to develop a new class of therapeutics. Scientists in this role will leverage genetic engineering tools to improve the performance of microbes for their use in drug development. They will be responsible for design, construction, and production of candidate therapeutic bacterial strains for further downstream testing in in vitro assays and in vivo models. Scientists will play key roles in contributing to a collaborative, transparent and open work environment. Scientists will further work closely with microbiologists, disease area and clinical experts to bring new therapeutic bacterial strains from conception to IND filing.Responsibilities
- Drive development of novel platform and therapeutic activities
- Design novel metabolic, regulatory or protein engineering strategies to enhance therapeutic activity in gut commensal strains
- Identify genetic parts from metagenomic and public data and validate function in therapeutic strain
- Construct and produce strains for in vitro experiments to characterize designs
- Collaborate with microbiome and disease area scientists to design and interpret in vitro and animal experiments
- Contribute to defining foundational approaches for predictably engineering therapeutics from genetic modules
- PhD in microbiology, bioengineering, chemical engineering, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related discipline
- Proven ability to design complex biological systems, such as systems with multiple interacting regulatory parts or novel metabolic pathways
- Deep knowledge of microbiome literature is required
- Proven ability to discover or elucidate novel microbial functional genomics
- Extensive experience with microbial culturing, molecular biology and assay development is required
- Experience with anaerobic culture
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team while adapting to the fast-paced need of an early stage startup
?Bloom Science, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.