GILLIG LLC is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. We are headquartered in Livermore, CA.SUMMARY
As the Environmental Health & Safety Manager, you will have a leadership role in monitoring and adapting safety procedures and operations to ensure a safe and fully compliant work environment for all employees.
This role is responsible for all aspects of plant and production safety for both our Livermore and Hayward locations including, but not limited to, OSHA compliance, other regulatory compliance, safety audits and inspections, incident investigations, worker's compensation, safety committee, safety teams, and training. You will need to bring outstanding collaboration and relationship building skills to develop partnerships throughout the organizational structure. This role requires both a strategic view and a willingness to do hands-on work daily.
This position reports to the Manager, Human Resources and may have 1-2 direct reports.RESPONSIBILITIESCompliance
Audits & Inspections
- Develop and update, as needed, all relevant OSHA written programs and SOPs
- Collect samples of materials, assist in environmental testing, and coordinate testing for hazardous conditions
- Manage Gillig's Emergency Response Team and conduct emergency evacuation drills on an annual basis
- Manage HazCom and CERS haz-waste inventory, chemical storage, and UST compliance documentation per CUPA
- Conduct stormwater sampling, routine SWPPP inspections and fulfill CA reporting requirements
- Assist in regular fire inspections including hydrant testing, fire pump testing, scheduling of annual 3rd party inspection and maintain SB14 Source reduction plan
- Submit EPA biennial hazardous waste reports and associated fees
- Maintain the Company's SDS database/library and chemical approval process
- Act as a liaison for GILLIG with federal, state, local regulatory agencies/officials, and corporate officials as the subject matter expert in environmental health & safety and associated compliance
Workplace Incidents & Injuries
- Conduct safety audits and identify optimal prevention strategies by conducting thorough investigations and analyses of plant injuries, accidents, and quality issues
- Conduct JHA's, DHA's, and ADA assessments, identify safety issues/concerns, recommend solutions and partner with appropriate departments and leaders to achieve resolution
- Drive and encourage a positive safety culture through leadership, actions and coaching of all levels of employees
- Partner with supervisors and business stakeholders to implement strategic safety initiatives and solutions to reduce risk and severity of workplace injuries and promote overall safety
- Investigate workplace injuries and accidents, determine root cause and recommend abatement/correction to the appropriate team(s)
- Update and maintain injury database, prepare reports for senior management
- Serve as back up coverage and collaborate with GILLIG's on-site doctor to respond to onsite medical injuries or emergencies.
- Schedule, track, and ensure timely implementation of all plant-wide mandatory safety training. Facilitate monthly safety training for production, safety committee monthly meetings, and executive safety committee meetings. Prepare and present reports to senior management, highlighting issues and making recommendations for mitigation or abatement
- Conduct training for compliance and other programs covering a wide variety of safety and OSHA topics
- Develop materials for and conduct new hire employee health and safety orientations
- Lead COVID-19 health and safety planning assuring compliance with state and federal regulations. Update and inform management when new regulations are issued or existing regulations are changed to ensure compliance
- Develop and maintain GILLIG EBus LOTO kits
- Order safety equipment and supplies, maintain an acceptable inventory, evaluate and recommend new/different PPE, as necessary
- May be responsible for responding to after hour work related emergencies
- Performs other duties as required
ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
- Bachelor's Degree required - degree or concentration in safety management, engineering, or related field preferred
- Professional certification such as CSP, First Aid, and OSHA preferred
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in progressively responsible safety, quality, or production position, or equivalent.
- Must have extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local environmental, health, and safety law
- Must be able to effectively present material and train employees in a group setting
- Detail oriented, superior organizational skills and proven ability to effectively communicate to all levels of an organization
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas now or in the future ABOUT US
- Start time M-F 5:00 AM
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at a time
- Some local travel required between our Livermore and our Hayward locations
After 130 years, GILLIG holds strong to its family values and focus on its employees and customers. Our motivated and dedicated employees have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction.
We are committed to building buses that connect communities, eliminate congestion, and contribute to a greener environment.
Our Company pride is exemplified by the thoughtful design and quality craftsmanship present in every GILLIG bus. GILLIG's steadfast focus on quality and unwavering commitment to exceptional customer service sets us apart from our competition.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, GILLIG has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards in which the company operates. Drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of GILLIG employees and to the security of the company's equipment and facilities.
For these reasons, GILLIG is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace. All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work.
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.