JOB TITLE: Programs Manager
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time salaried exempt
REPORTS TO: Site General Manager
ORGANIZATION: Shreveport Aquarium, https://www.shreveportaquarium.com/
LOCATION: Shreveport, Louisiana
The full-time Programs Manager position is part of the Education Department. This position is responsible for the creation, implementation, and management of all onsite and offsite educational programming for both schools and the public. This position is also responsible for the management, organization, and continued development of the education team (host educators) in accordance with all organizational policies, procedures, and protocols. The position will work closely with the leadership team to create and enhance dynamic programming and events that support the fiscal and mission led needs of the organization.
Please remember the duties and responsibilities of this position are subject to change. The Shreveport Aquarium may change the job title or duties of this position where the changes would be considered reasonable for a similar position in the industry.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages and oversees the continual development of programming and educational related areas ensuring a consistently high standard of educational content and presentation in line with the long-term goals of the company in all established and future programming.
- Overseas daily interactive programming to guests and guest presentations involving exhibits, animal ambassadors, and behind the scenes areas in accordance established protocols.
- Ensures the staffing needs of the education department are maintained by hiring, training, and supervising the full, part time and seasonal host educators.
- Maintains accurate records to track registration, participation, and/or attendance in on/off-site programming.
- Manages field trip programming ensuring phone and email correspondents for programming requests are fielded appropriately as well as booking onsite school visits and classroom programs.
- Interacts with guests, management, community stakeholders, and other cross-functional departments and individuals as required.
- Assist in the continual development and strategic planning of the education department in line with the long-term goals of the company. Assist with the preparation of the departmental operating budget as needed.
- Effective time and project management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KEY EXPECTATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work to a level that is equal to or surpasses the minimum standards for any company guidelines established regarding customer service and program quality.
- Communicate and liaise with the site management, Director of Marketing, and Director of Development (PAG), as directed, regarding aquarium programming matters.
- Ensure effective planning and implementation of routine on/offsite programming in accordance with company and or host site guidelines.
- Ensure that accurate and up to date records are complete for all programs attendance and associated matters.
- Ensure and maintain continually high levels of cleanliness of all exhibit stations and associated programs areas (classroom, programs storage, etc.).
- Assist with the maintenance and planned development of graphics and interactive displays as required.
- Initiate, update, and assist with the development of programs for the aquarium.
- Assist the General Manager and the Director of Development (PAG) with the generation and implementation of future programming plans for the aquarium.
- Play a key role in any program related capital projects from concept creation through to completion and continual operation, as directed by the General Manager, Director of Development (PAG), and company Leadership team.
- Carry out and/or oversee any specific research and development projects to improve aquarium education and onsite programs as directed by the General Manager and in conjunction with the Director of Development (PAG).
- Motivate and train the education staff on site, through liaison with relevant departments, training modules, and development opportunities.
- Ensure high levels of communication between the aquarium education team, aquarium management and company management team.
- In collaboration with the operational team organize and monitor education staff schedules, ensuring that they are within budgetary constraints while at the same time ensuring there is always adequate coverage to ensure the smooth operation of all touch exhibit areas and weekly programming needs.
- Ensure programs operational budgets are operated within monthly and yearly constraints.
- Assist the General Manager with the generation of the annual program operation budgets.
- Assist the General Manager with the generation of annual capital expenditure requests and operation within such budgets once granted.
As directed by the General Manager additional responsibilities may be given that relate to the Shreveport Aquarium or company operation. Such responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Work outside normal scheduled hours (i.e., weekend days, holidays, special events, after hour programs).
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in a life sciences or education related field. (i.e., marine biology, zoology, environmental science, science education).
- Minimum three to five years' experience in science education for K-12 students.
- Experience in zoo or aquarium venues preferred.
- Minimum three to four years of managerial experience supervising teams and individuals preferably of part time and seasonal education staff.
Skills and Knowledge
- Proven communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills.
- Proven knowledge of the operation and development of educational programming including, but not limited to fieldtrips, birthday parties, and animal ambassador programs.
- Advanced knowledge of animal ambassador programs with animal ambassador program management skills and experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to communicate effectively in public forums to aquarium guests, community stakeholders, and partnering organizations.
- Ability to supervise the work of others, with at least three years supervisory experience.
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional departments to develop promotional materials, interactives, and graphic displays.
- Willingness and ability to adhere to company employee guidelines (i.e. Planet Aqua Group - Shreveport Aquarium policies and guidelines)
- Ability to maintain a clean/organized work environment.
- Ability to work effectively with limited or no supervision and maintain a work ethic supporting the aquarium's mission and goals.
- Ability to obtain and hold a current First Aid and CPR certification.
- Ability to obtain and hold valid Louisiana Driver's License.