Hooray Foods is on a mission to combat climate change, enhance the world's ecosystems, and prevent animal suffering, all by providing people around the world with delicious food that gives them the same experience and joy as eating animal products - Hooray!!
Our first product is a plant-based bacon called Hooray Bacon that looks, handles, and tastes almost like the real thing. We need an amazing Food Scientist to help make our current product better and lead innovation in future ingredient functionality work.
You will work closely with a team of Food Scientists to support research and development efforts of the company. This role will be responsible for the selection, characterization, and modification of raw food materials. The focus of this position will be on improving current products through the study of chemical structural properties of food materials and their interactions in complex systems. Successful individuals will be result-oriented, self-motivated, and meticulous about their work. Taking ownership of the work that you do, and approaching tasks with an organized, methodical manner will render you successful in this position.
Your work will be based in our R&D kitchen and analytical lab in downtown San Francisco where you'll work closely with the entire Hooray team.
- Select, characterize, and modify raw food materials, such as starches, proteins, fats, fatty acids, amino acids, monosaccharides, etc., for product development
- Study the chemical structural properties of the food material and their ability to form complexes
- Design and develop novel technology for material research and ingredient discovery
- Analyze functional properties of novel ingredients in complex matrix systems (polysaccharides, fats, lipids, etc.) and their application in such systems
- Collaborate with Food Scientist team to prepare food ingredient materials based on property requirements for bench-top prototypes
- Present research findings and reports in a well-organized written and verbal manner
- Participate in pilot scale production runs as required
- Ph.D. with 2+ years of experience or M.S. with 4+ years of experience. Degree in Food Science, Food Chemistry, Material Science, Chemical Engineering or a related field
- Extensive hands-on experience in the characterization and modification of food related molecules such as starches, proteins, fats, fatty acids, amino acids, monosaccharides, etc.
- Hands-on experience with HPLC, LC-MS, electrophoresis, mass-spectrometry, etc. on food related molecules
- In-depth understanding of the structural-functional relationship of proteins/polymers
- Must have strong knowledge in food chemistry and relevant chemical reactions/techniques
- Track record of successful project management from ideation, experimental design to final execution in the food or biotechnology industry
- Technical food science knowledge required. Plant-based food experience preferred
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Detail oriented and extremely organized
- Excellent time management, organization skills, and project management skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Hooray Foods, Inc. Sponsorship available in certain cases.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Laboratory kitchen and office with less than 10% travel
- Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
We're a small and mighty team, but as we grow we know the most important thing is that we have an amazing team that shares the same vision for the world and knows how to work together to get there. To us, this means diversity, creativity, teamwork, passion, compassion, and an ability to have fun with the work we are doing.