The Environmental Health and Safety Specialist supports Management to create and enforce a culture of safety within the company.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ensures the implementation and enforcement of the Company's most up-to-date required written safety and health policies, programs, and procedures.
- Adopts and/or develop methods for assessing safety conditions in warehouses, factories, or offices.
- Conducts routine safety inspections, including all motorized vehicles, alone or as part of a group that includes managers and supervisors to ensure all activities are compliant with safety guidelines, to identify workplace hazards, to determine whether any employees are using unsafe safety practices, or additional training in necessary, and to take corrective action before accidents take place.
- Trains employees in safety procedures, and runs emergency drills to gauge employee readiness
- Prepares detailed reports documenting each inspection process.
- Suggests revisions to production procedure and/or employee activity that does not meet health and safety codes.
- Maintains required safety and health document/files, safety-related training records, administers post-training tests or reviews training feedback from employees.
- Conducts post-accident/injury investigation to determine the cause of the accident and works with supervisors and employees to develop plans to prevent similar accidents.
- Monitors the reporting and investigating "near-miss" situations.
- Addresses any workplace-related issues and accidents proactively, and conducts investigations into employee inquiries, suggestions, and complaints.
- Conduct safety training to current and new employees
- Coordinate the CPR/First Aid training for employees
- Lead and prepare the weekly safety committee meetings
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Health & Safety or a related field
- 1-2 years of experience in Health & Safety
- Experience in food manufacturing preferred
- Demonstrates broad and comprehensive knowledge of state and federal safety guidelines for the workplace, and a good understanding of legal repercussions of workplace accidents
- Exhibits professional/expert knowledge of appropriate emergency protocols.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint