IDT is the leading manufacturer of custom oligonucleotides and proprietary technologies for genomics applications. Our work is complex and cutting-edge, and our team members are curious, creative thinkers who understand that good data drives smart decisions. At IDT, we realize that although science may be uniform, people are unique. We promote a culture where engaged people are motivated and have opportunities to achieve their full potential, as part of one global team.
IDT is proud to work alongside a community of nine fellow Danaher Life Sciences companies. Together, we're pioneering the future of science and medicine, developing products that enable researchers in the fight to save lives.Job Title:
Synthetic Biology Applications ScientistLocation:
Coralville, IA ?*Mobile (On-Site/Work from Home Hybrid)*
-Mobile associates must live in an area that does not exceed a 100-mile (150 km) radius of an IDT location. *2-3 days/week onsite expected. Shift:
Weekday ( Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm) Purpose statement:
The Synthetic Biology Applications Scientist provides professional customer service, design, and support to IDT customers regarding Synthetic Biology and related products.Essential Functions:
- Communicates with customers to provide technical support for a growing product offering of Synthetic Biology products, documents all incoming and outgoing customer interactions in IDT's Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database
- Communicates customer needs directly to the Synthetic Biology lab members and Bioinformaticians, interprets and communicates design, synthesis, issues from the Lab to the customer
- Uses basic understanding of double stranded DNA structure, complexities and limitations
- Provides custom screening, design and optimization of customers' DNA sequences
- Works directly with Application Developers and Bioinformaticians for Synthetic Biology application and product development
- Plays a fundamental role in helping with the expansion of the Synthetic Biology business unit and adapts successfully to quick changes and growth within the unit.
- Troubleshoots Synthetic Biology product uses and applications by using customer provided data and information, as well as IDT sales and manufacturing databases.
- Supports other IDT service departments and Sales through consultation or escalation of Synthetic Biology product questions, customer issues, and technical inquiries as needed.
- Resolves complaints by determining the cause of the problem, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem, and expediting resolution to the customer's satisfaction.
- Supports high value customers with complex projects that may span many months to years with multiple and complex goalposts.
- Presents technical information in regularly scheduled department meetings.
- Contributes regularly to the growing database of technical information and reviews this information.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related science field required; M.S or Ph.D. is preferred.
- Lab experience in microbiology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, or related fields required.
Other Job Qualifications:
- Previous experience in the life science industry, a research lab environment or relevant experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills that include Microsoft Office applications and proficiency in typing required.
- Previous customer care experience preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with DNA search and design tools such as BLAST, DNA*, Primer3, etc.
- Understanding of DNA structure, basics of cloning and molecular biology, and fundamentals of genetics.
- Ability to analyze data, identify key issues, and solve problems using critical thinking skills.
- Ability to search, comprehend, interpret, and convey relevant scientific information to and from customers, the primary literature, and from IDTs production and research labs and Bioinformaticians.
- Ability to search current scientific literature for potential relevant methods and techniques to acquire necessary information to fill technical gaps and stay informed with rapidly changing techniques and to convey these techniques to others within Synthetic Biology Department.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues with a wide range of skills and experience in different fields.
- Ability to multitask and adjust priorities in a quick paced environment.
- Ability to probe skillfully to get the facts when others are averse to providing detailed information.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Adaptability to performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
Exert up to 10lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to a minimal amount frequentlyWhat We Offer:
- Generous Paid Time Off Accruals
- 16 Hours PAID Volunteer Time Off
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Up to eight (8) weeks of 100% paid parental leave to eligible U.S. associates
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Options
Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT) conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers
When you join us, you'll also be joining Danaher's global organization, where 69,000 people wake up every day determined to help our customers win. As an associate, you'll try new things, work hard, and advance your skills with guidance from dedicated leaders, all with the support of powerful Danaher Business System
tools and the stability of a tested organization.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. We value diversity and the existence of similarities and differences, both visible and not, found in our workforce, workplace and throughout the markets we serve. Our associates, customers and shareholders contribute unique and different perspectives as a result of these diverse attributes.
The EEO posters are available here
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at to request accommodation.
If you've ever wondered what's within you, there's no better time to find out.