Description Job Description:
This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center currently has an opening for a Scientist/Senior Scientist - Biology to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated biologist for advanced technology programs focused on molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics / genomics. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong Molecular, Biochemical and Synthetic Biology laboratory and analytical skills as well as experience in mammalian- and/or microbial cell-based protein expression and characterization. Roles and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the conceptualization and development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of microbial engineering, prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein expression, synthetic and systems biology.
- Develop novel countermeasures against chemical and biological threat agents
- Develop novel molecular and genomics-based methods for the detection of exposure to biological and/or chemical agents.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
- Qualified candidates should have a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience (additional experience will be considered).The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Biology, Microbiology, or related discipline with technical experience (experience obtained during graduate or postdoctoral work can be counted towards total years of experience)
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Laboratory skills: Microbial cultivation, characterization and identification, microbiome analysis and engineering, nucleic acid extraction/purification/quantification, experience with sample preparation methods for NGS, mammalian cell culturing, cloning, and cell transformation/transfection
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
- Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Heterologous protein expression (mammalian and/or bacterial systems), protein purification, and characterization
- Protein engineering Experience with NGS processing and analysis
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- RNA-based therapeutics
- Experience with genetics/epigenetics
- Possess US Government Security Clearance