Gleason is the global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of technology solutions focused on power transmission including gearing. We participate in many of today's emerging markets including electric vehicles, automation, renewable energy and the transition to a digital economy. Our products and services are used in over 60 countries around the world.
Gleason Works is looking for a Safety Manager to join our team.Position Summary:
The Safety Manager is responsible for developing, coordinating and promoting all environmental, health and safety programs for The Gleason Works (GWR).This position will develop the EH&S culture along with the GWR Leadership team to ensure legal compliance with all environmental, health, safety and OSHA laws and regulations.Job Responsibilities:General:
- Develop and execute behavior-based safety plans aligned with GWR's objectives.
- Drive continuous improvement and best practice in all EH&S programs.
- Establish team performance standards through the implementation of the facility Key Performance Indicators ("KPI's") and communicate status to management team. Identify root causes and appropriate corrective actions for areas of non-performance.
- Support Facilities Manager with oversight of plant maintenance and security personnel.
- Support in-house tenant relations on EH&S topics.
- Acts as the Management Representative for the ISO 14001 Environmental System (preparing/submitting regulatory reports, auditing and regularly reporting required updates to the management team).
- Responsible for preparing, implementing and maintaining Company procedures and policies adhering to local, state and federal environmental regulations.
- Ensures compliance with all environmental regulations and keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization.
- Assesses the environmental risk of activities and advises team members of environmental impact. Develops appropriate methodologies to minimize risk.
- Manages the Hazardous Waste program, including characterization and brokerage of all hazardous and special waste. Includes paperwork preparation, drum preparation and oversight of waste loading.
- Participate on Gleason's global environmental team to drive continuous improvement globally.
- Responsible for overseeing air registration and sewer permit, interacting with local regulatory agencies.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Collaborate with the employee base to create a behavior-based safety culture. This includes:
- Serving as the leader of the GWR safety committee
- Leading the incident investigation process
- Recommending methods to minimize/reduce ergonomic stress
- Working to align our actions with our words
- Responsible for safety and environmental review of all chemicals proposed for use at the Company as well as the maintenance of Material Safety Data Sheets/Safety Data Sheets.
- Responsible for conducting required training programs and maintaining records as required by regulatory agencies (OSHA/EPA/DEC/DOT).
- Analyze data to determine root causes, and create action plans to minimize and/or reduce exposures in order to reduce the number of incidents and near misses.
- Maintain the OSHA 300/300a/301 Logs.
- Develop and maintain Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs) for manufacturing areas.
- Work with Facilities to update and maintain the contingency plan and emergency response procedures.
- Develop and perform ergonomic analyses of work stations; recommend appropriate solutions to reduce ergonomic risk factors.
- Manage and coordinate training and readiness for the Gleason Emergency Response Team.
- Maintain working relationships with local municipal emergency response organizations, including but not limited to the Rochester Fire Department and Rochester Police Department.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in safety and environmental compliance
- Broad Knowledge of safety and environmental laws and practices
- Proven track record of driving improved safety performance, results and continuous improvement in an industrial manufacturing organization
- Experience with implementing innovative solutions in order to drive a safety culture throughout an organization
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of hazardous substances, wastes and materials
- Understanding of environmental regulations and ISO 14001
- Knowledge of risk assessment and mitigation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experienced in developing and conducting training for employees at all levels within the organization
Professional Certificates, Licenses or Registrations:
- Bachelor degree in Safety Science, Industrial Engineering or Environmental Engineering
- 5-7 years of related experience
- Experience and/or interest in industrial manufacturing facilities management
- Experience in industrial facility/campus security and tactical daily oversight
- Associated Safety Professional ("ASP") or Certified Safety Professional ("CSP") certification preferred
- Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Management Software
The physical demands described here are representative of those that would need to
be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to
be performed. Employees are required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their manager or supervisor.DISCLAIMER
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the
various types of work that may be performed and is not an all-inclusive summary
of job duties and responsibilities. The omission of specific statements or duties and responsibilities does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment
to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs of the Company and requirements of the job change.