For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.Job Summary
A Research Specialist is responsible for conducting in vitro (cell-based), molecular and/or biochemical assays following direction from departmental scientists / management. This individual demonstrates proficiency in the use of instrumentation and laboratory techniques. This individual effectively applies his/her experience and knowledge to participate in method validation and troubleshoot method issues. This individual contributes to the department by working independently, completing assigned projects on time, participating in process improvement initiatives, and communicating effectively with others.
Essential Functions (The fundamental Duties & Responsibilities of the role (products and services provided/results accomplished) include, but are not limited to, those listed:
- Demonstrate commitment to quality and animal welfare.
- Effectively work in a team and demonstrate a commitment to achieving company goals.
- Efficiently prioritize assigned daily workload and use time productively.
- Validate new methods for production environment.
- Consistently document all procedures and materials in compliance with all applicable guidelines/standards.
- Monitor/calibrate/qualify/operate applicable laboratory instruments including their respective software applications to prepare sample and provide required study endpoints.
- Assist in the completion of laboratory investigations, assay troubleshooting, and quality observations, as needed.
- Participate in method development with scientific oversight.
- Recognize method and data issues and communicate them to management to minimize study impact.
- Demonstrate ability to function as project lead for sample analysis and validation studies.
- Possess a willingness to perform additional work, as assigned by management, and as part
Qualifications (Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to accomplish the essential functions) include but are not limited to:
· MS/MA in relevant field and 2-5 years of relevant experience; BS/BA/Associates/HS/GED and 5-10 years of relevant experience; contract research organization experience preferred.· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
About Safety Assessment
- Previous experience working with the following required: in vitro, molecular and biochemical assays.
- Proficient using laboratory software applications, including LIMS and data acquisition software.
- Positively contributes to quality metrics by maintaining minimal level of laboratory errors and failed runs.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Computer skills, commensurate with Essential Functions, including the ability to learn a validated system.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to evenings, weekends, extended shifts, and/or extra shifts; sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to work under specific time constraints.
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 300 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.