GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is seeking a Coastal Project Manager
to support the waterfront and coastal engineering practice in GZA's Oakbrook, IL, Brookfield and Milwaukee, Wisconsin
offices. The ideal candidate for this position is a seasoned project manager with a strong "doer-seller" aptitude with the motivation and desire to foster technical excellence and strong client relationships. We expect this Waterfront/Coastal Engineer to be an enthusiastic, outgoing person willing to embrace external networking and marketing activities to help us locally grow our practice. Recent trends in Lake Michigan water levels have resulted in severe erosion issues and the need to provide services to a wide client base ranging from individual property owners to municipalities and Counties in Wisconsin and Illinois.
As a Coastal Project Manager,
you will work with a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex coastal projects. You will successfully execute all aspects of projects under the guidance of a company Principal. You will also assist with proposal, contract, and project performance phases; responsible for day-to-day execution of technical and financial aspects of each project; participate in marketing activities and networking events; and involved with the development and mentoring of staff. Senior Project Managers have ownership opportunities with the firm and the potential for advancement to Principal levels.
The Lake Michigan erosion and water level rise has resulted in stability issues along the shoreline. Our projects involve evaluation of environmental factors for increased shoreline recession and bluff failure. Projects will focus on wind speed and direction; wave parameters such as height, period, and direction; lake water surface elevations; and sediment transport. Experience with probabilistic analysis to identify conditions associated with normal lake conditions, as well as different return period storm events (i.e., extreme conditions) is required. The coastal engineering aspects of the shoreline are dynamic and are the main driver in maintaining integrated coastal management programs. The individual will also provide assistance with other multi-disciplinary projects such as harbor and waterfront developments. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of and documented experience in one or several of these practice areas.
This position requires excellent leadership qualities with a history of successfully managing waterfront, coastal, and/or geotechnical projects and staff in a collaborative work environment, and demonstrated experience developing scope and budget proposals, schedules, qualifications packages, reports, and presentations. The candidate should be self-motivated, well organized, detail oriented, quality focused, safety-minded, and must be able to multi-task. Proven project and client management and business development skills are key requirements, as is the demonstrated ability to grow and foster existing client relationships and proactively identify project opportunities and develop new clients.Key Duties:
- Managing a project team, delegating to office and field staff, and executing day-to-day project activities
- Conducting both internal and client communications
- Monitoring team performance for compliance with contractual agreements and budgets
- Conducting/reviewing technical analyses/calculations
- Develop and assist with coastal and waterfront business development initiatives
- Preparing proposals and reviewing/writing reports with Principal guidance and review
- Working closely with existing GZA project-level staff engineers
- Coordinating and leading team meetings with project staff and clients.
- Desire to assist with growing a Great Lakes coastal engineering practice
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering with coastal and marine focus, Master's preferred
- Relevant local experience with regulatory knowledge and working relationships with the Illinois and Wisconsin business community, and federal, state, and local agencies
- Marine engineering experience at consulting engineering firms and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations throughout the Midwest region
- Experience working on coastal permitting, design, construction, and shoreline maintenance projects, including construction plans, specifications, and cost estimating
- Professional licensure or registration in Illinois, Wisconsin and other Midwest states, or the ability to obtain the licensing
- Desire to manage and mentor staff and review and evaluate their work while fostering staff growth and development
- Ability to collaborate in multi-office, team environment
- Strong attention to detail with excellent analytical skills and judgment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with clients, design team members, contractors, and construction managers
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and knowledge of relevant technical software including AutoCAD Civil3D a plus
GZA is an employee-owned multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm with a history of more than 50 years of providing innovative engineering solutions to improve the natural and built environment. We are an ENR Top 500 Design firm focused on geotechnical, environmental, water, ecological, and construction management services. With a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects above, below and at ground-level, GZA's experts provide seamless integration across practice areas, client type, and location.