Job Title: Staff Scientist, Field Applications - Molecular BiologyRequisition ID: 177859BRLocation: Santa Clara, CA (Relocation benefits offered)About Thermo Fisher Scientific!
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 90,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.Division Specific Information
The Laboratory Products Division (LPD) unites deep scientific expertise, collaborative culture and rich resources to deliver the lab equipment and consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals ? quickly, reliably and safely. Our smart lab solutions make it faster and easier for our customers to focus on what matters most ? delivering answers and innovations that save and improve lives.How you will make an impact!
The Staff Scientist will serve as a scientific expert in techniques of molecular biology, including next-generation sequencing, capillary electrophoresis, microarrays and PCR. As a member of a team of Field Application Scientists, the candidate will utilize their scientific expertise to develop strategies for integrating Laboratory Plastic Essential portfolio (consumables, software and instruments) into workflows based on various applications in regulated and validated segments, provide applications/technical support and training to customers. The candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary cross-divisional matrix team, for example, commercial representatives, product management, R&D scientists, field application scientists and marketing development managers.What you will do:
How will you get here?
- Develop applications that utilize and demonstrate the benefits of Laboratory Plastic Essential products in regulated and validated markets.
- Conduct research to assess the use of supported products in workflows utilizing techniques in molecular biology.
- Design experimental plans, analyze experimental data, perform statistical analyses, generate laboratory protocols, and write technical reports and product summaries.
- Present workflows by creating technical marketing materials, including application notes, technical notes, peer-reviewed publications and presenting data at scientific conferences and webinars.
- Lead and coach other team members on completing projects on time and within budget.
- Provide field support to our sales organization by providing customers with technical guidance (pre and post-sales activities).
- Cross-train internal commercial and business teams on products and applications as needed.
- Partner with other technical scientists across divisions to create cross-divisional workflows.
- Stay current on scientific and industry trends and participate in VOC to understand customer needs.
- Provide market sensing mechanism, identifying new opportunities and highlighting gaps in the current portfolio.
- Interface with commercial, R&D, product management, marketing teams, and cross-divisional peers.
- Support internal business and product development efforts through feedback on the innovation pipeline.
Successful candidates will have research experience in molecular biology techniques, specifically, PCR, capillary electrophoresis, microarray, and NGS applications, including hands-on experience with library construction, clonal amplification, reagent formulation and use of the Thermo Scientific instruments (Quant Studio, Genetic Analyzer, GeneTitan and Ion Torrent instruments) is desirable.EDUCATION
PhD in molecular biology with minimum of 3 years of experience in industry or MS in molecular biology with 5 or more years of industry experience.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Position may require Covid-19 vaccination and/or routine testing, per client discretion.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years industry experience with methods and techniques of molecular biology, including PCR, Sanger Sequencing, NGS and/or microarray experience.
- Experience in planning and executing application projects to support product strategy and sales.
- Experience in writing commercially focused scientific and applications literature.
- Experience with conducting VOC, participating in new product development programs, and representing customer needs.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Minimum 3 years experience with automated liquid handling expertise preferred, with experience including multiple vendor platforms.
- Authored peer-reviewed scientific publications related to research in molecular biology is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve difficult problems.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (English) and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
- Strong work ethic with a proven track record to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-reliant, problem solver and results-oriented
- Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values ? Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I?s)
- Able to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status