CSS has an immediate need for a Environmental Analytical Chemist in our Emergency Response and Disaster Recovery division. This position is located in Edison, NJ. CSS is a professional and technical services provider to government and commercial clients. Our services are organized into four business lines and several cross-cutting services that we have cultivated through our 32 years of corporate experience. The four business lines are Earth, Space & Life Sciences, Emergency Response & Disaster Recovery, Environmental, Safety & Health, and Natural Resources Management. We provide competitive compensation and benefits package for our employees.
• Prepares and analyzes environmental samples for organic environmental analysis using GC/MS AND/OR LC/MS/MS.
• Performs a variety of chemical tests and is knowledgeable of instrumental techniques.
• Screens and logs in samples into LIMS, prepares samples for laboratory analysis, maintains equipment, and orders lab supplies.
• Uses LIMS and ChemStation, MassLynx or MassHunter software to perform data analysis.
• Participates in planning & strategy meetings.
• Suggests modifications to existing protocols & standing operating procedures, equipment, processes or techniques.
• Participates in evaluation process to include set up, operation & monitoring of equipment & apparatus, & more complex experimental procedures involving novel samples.
• Performs instrument and laboratory maintenance.
• Summarizes & records data in official notebooks, orders supplies & maintains a safe working environment. Performs a variety of tasks.
• Works under minimal supervision and reports to the PHILIS Supervisor/Lead Chemist.
• Able to travel with mobile laboratories for field work for up to 2 weeks when needed.
BS in Chemistry or physical science and 3 to 8 years of experience in an analytical laboratory
Good communication skills
Experience with organic environmental analysis
Experience with GC/MS, purge and trap, thermal desorption unit (TDU)
Experience with ChemStation, MassHunter, LIMS operations
Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within an environmental laboratory
Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
Familiarity with EPA methods for organic chemistry
Desirable: OSHA HazWoper experience
Must be a US citizen
Must be able to pass a drug screen, background check and/or National Agency check.
CSS is predominately a Federal Contractor and is subject to following the terms of Executive Orders. CSS requires all Employees (Direct, Indirect, government, state, and commercial), including employees working from home/remotely, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption. Exceptions to the COVID-19 vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the CSS HR Department.
CSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer who provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, CSS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.