Faculty, General and Organismal Biology
POSITION: FACULTY, General and Organismal Biology
STATUS: Full time Tenure track
DEPARTMENT: Natural Science/Physical Education
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities; demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open communication. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a standard load. Course assignments may be late afternoon, evening, Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach at least three sections of General Biology and/or Organismal Biology and other biology as needed.
2. Work closely with other instructors, special programs, and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, and academic support.
3. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation, and planning activities.
4. Be willing to teach online and/or hybrid courses.
5. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings and recruitment activities; serve on committees.
6. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
7. Employ effective and innovative teaching methods in the classroom and laboratory.
8. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
9. Teach at other campus sites as needed.
10. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College full time faculty contract.
Master's Degree in Biology or closely related field with emphasis on organismal biology. Two (2) years of teaching experience at the collegiate level.
1. Doctoral Degree in Biology with emphasis on Organismal Biology, or closely related field.
2. Experience at the community college level.
3. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
4. Experience in teaching online and/or using course management programs.
5. Experience in course development and assessment, planning, quality and accreditation processes, and committee service.
6. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
Normal classroom and laboratory (indoor and outdoor) physical demands.
Classroom and laboratory (indoor and outdoor) teaching environment.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary