At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the boundaries of what is possible in order to bring life-changing therapies to patients worldwide.
Join Takeda as a Principal Scientist, Biologics, Computational Biology / Machine Learning where you will leverage skills in sequence analysis, pattern recognition, machine learning, and scientific programming to develop and implement tools that enable the design of novel therapeutics and prediction of biophysical and therapeutic properties. You will also coordinate with internal and external collaborators and interface very closely with members of other therapeutic groups to help build Takeda's capabilities in this area. Responsibilities include: As part of the Global Biologics team that is focused on creating novel treatments that make a large impact on patients' lives in the fields of Oncology, Gastroenterology, Neuroscience, and Rare Diseases and you will report to the Principal Scientist, Biologic Analytics and Automation Sciences.
How you will contribute:
- Develop and implement tools and models that enable rapid assessment of biotherapeutics with regard to potency, immunogenicity and developability.
- Proactively assess and internalize novel methods and tools.
- Help build and execute on the scientific strategy for building out Takeda's machine learning platform for application in antibody development and gene therapy.
- Understand and effectively utilize a wide variety of data sources, both proprietary and public, to develop predictions.
- Independently design studies, ranging from simple to more complex, to test and further refine predictive models.
- Support all aspects of projects from data wrangling through to machine learning and statistical analysis.
- Identify potential external collaborations and serve as the point of contact with external partners/ stakeholders.
- Communicate and explain strengths and weaknesses of complex computational models and ML techniques to broad scientific audience from diverse disciplines.
What you bring to Takeda:
- Develop and implement appropriate machine learning/pattern recognition algorithms to help define the design space for engineering biomolecules taking into consideration efficacy, immunogenicity and developability predictions as well as experimental resources.
- Independently represent Global Biologics function on project and data science teams in support of discovery programs.
- Perform end-to-end data analyses, from hypotheses formulation, experimental design, writing analysis plans, data cleaning, executing analysis, and preparing reports and documentation.
- Strengthen Takeda's advanced analytics toolkit by identifying and applying emerging techniques, as well as by advancing the state-of-the-art and developing novel analysis tools as needed.
- Collaborate effectively within a matrix environment, with scientists across various scientific disciplines, therapeutic areas, and departments to develop a strategy and appropriate goals for data science work.
- Anticipate and communicate internal and external resource and quality issues that may impact deliverables or timelines of the program.
- Propose and implement solutions.
- Escalate issues to management as appropriate in a timely manner.
- Increase the external recognition of Takeda's data science work by participating in conferences, publishing work and developing external collaborations.
What Takeda can offer you:
- Track record of applying machine learning/ deep learning approaches, to solve drug discovery and development problems.
- Education in a relevant field, for example a) PhD in a field such as Biostatistics, Physics, Computation Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics with at least 6 years of experience and a clear interest in data science methods, or b) Master's degree with at least 9 years of relevant experience.
- Expert-level knowledge of data science programming languages (Python and R, or similar).
- Significant depth of expertise in at least one field relevant to the job (for example, machine learning, biotherapeutic design, etc.).
- Track record of applying machine learning/ deep learning approaches, to solve relevant biological problems.
- Familiarity with concepts, techniques, and common tools used for sequence analysis, pattern recognition and protein structure modeling.
- Ability to work independently on complicated datasets, including all aspects of data analysis (data cleaning, algorithm development, statistical analysis, and documentation).
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Willingness and ability to self-educate in new areas.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with a cross-functional team.
More about us:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Work Paths
- Tuition reimbursement
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
In accordance with the CO Equal Pay Act, Colorado Applicants Are Not Permitted to Apply.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law. Locations
Boston, MAWorker Type