For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.IMPORTANT:
In order to be considered for this position, a resume/CV must be uploaded and submitted during the application process.
Please make sure work history and education are added correctly. Job Summary
Responsible for managing the Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Program for adherence to local, state, and federal regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish, administer, and update specific EH&S programs for compliance with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Transportation (DOT) and other regulations as necessary. Manage OSHA and EPA records and maintain reporting and documentation standards.
- Provide initial and periodic safety and environmental training to all employees as required and advise management on safety and environmental issues. Review new regulatory standards and make compliance recommendations.
- Inspect the facility for compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations as applicable. Recommend solutions to management that address deficiencies in EH&S compliance. Submit work orders for facility corrective action on EH&S concerns.
- Assist in the development of EH&S programs and metrics.
- Manage the hazardous waste (RCRA) and medical waste disposal function including waste profiling, permitting, manifesting, and record keeping and reporting.
- Assist management team in emergency response and function as EH&S Emergency Coordinator for 24-hour incident response.
- Serve as Chairperson of the Safety Committee. Assist in the investigation of injuries resulting in lost time claims and/or safety violations and property damage. Make recommendations for corrective action. Provide regulatory guidance on EH&S issues to all staff.
- Available to clients and federal and state investigators to explain procedures and produce written documentation as proof of compliance.
- Request and maintain necessary facility permits, licenses and compliance reports to federal, local and state regulatory authorities.
- Obtain necessary licenses to function as wastewater and underground storage tank operator.
- Coordinate communications to regulatory agencies and client inspections on EH&S related matters.
- May assist in development of departmental budget.
- As required, oversee maintenance of group training manual and training records.
- Support the policy of equal employment opportunity through affirmative action in personnel actions.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience: Five or more years related experience in Environmental Health & Safety.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Ability to interpret federal and state regulation and apply them to address compliance solutions as required. Effective writing, organizational and time management skills. Computer skills including MS Office and database management.
- Must regularly communicate with employees/customers; must be able to exchange accurate information.
- Must occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to walk regularly from one neighboring location to the other, walk a flight of stairs.
- Must be able to safely shepherd and exit employees during an emergency.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This position requires frequent domestic travel.IMPORTANT: A resume is required to be considered for this position.
If you have not uploaded your resume in your candidate profile, please return to upload field and attach your resume/CV. Vaccine Mandate
Charles River is a U.S. Federal Contractor. As a result, we must follow the Presidential Executive Order to mandate vaccinations, and ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Our main priority is the wellbeing, health, and safety of our people. We will be requiring proof of vaccination from all employees.
Anyone with requests for disability-related and/or religious exemptions should contact Talent Acquisition (crrecruitment_US@crl.com) so that information can be provided about the accommodation process at Charles River.About Discovery
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 18,000 employees within 100 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of >80% of the drugs approved by the FDA for the past 3 years.Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.