This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center at Leidos currently has an opening for a Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist-Computational Biology/Bioinformatics to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated computational biologist to lead the development of analytical frameworks and computational methods targeting various applications in metagenomics, genetics/ epigenetics, and multi-omics. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects with a mission of solving some of our nation's most demanding challenges. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong skills in NGS-derived data analysis and integration, including metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, metabolic pathway analysis, and predictive statistical modeling. The ideal candidate is motivated by modeling complex cellular systems and gaining mechanistic understanding based on large biological datasets. This is a unique opportunity to work at a collaborative, forward-thinking synthetic and systems biology team and help build groundbreaking solutions with direct applications in the field.Primary Responsibilities
- Lead computational efforts to characterize changes in multiple-omics profiles under different conditions using existing tools, and develop novel algorithms when required
- Develop statistical and machine learning-based models to leverage new insight into biological systems from -omics data (e.g., genomics/metagenomics, transcriptomics/metatranscriptomics, metabolomics, epigenomics).
- Contribute to the development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of synthetic and systems biology.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
- Master's degree with 6 - 10 years of prior relevant experience or Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics or related discipline with at least 5 years of technical experience (experience obtained during graduate or postdoctoral work can be counted towards total years of experience).
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Experience processing, analyzing and integrating multiple NGS-based data sets.
- Linux scripting abilities and working knowledge of at least one program language (e.g., R, Pearl, Python, C++).
- Strong background in statistics / machine learning applied to systems-level data types.
- Strong background in Biology.
- Highly motivated.
- Strong independence in carrying out research tasks.\Collaborative with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines.
- Integration of multiple -omics platform data
- Network analysis
- Development of predictive statistical models
- Microbiome research experience
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Understanding of Molecular Biology / Genetics assays
- Possess US government Security Clearance