Relocation assistance available
Our growing, forest products client has an immediate opening for the role of Forestry Procurement Specialist to join their team in Salisbury, MD. This position will report directly to the Procurement Manager.
The person in this position would specialize in working with private landowners to secure an adequate supply of timber for our client's local mills as well as help manage logging operations.Education and Certification:
Bachelor's degree in Forestry preferred not required / Maryland licensed Forester preferred.Experience:
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Strong communications abilities
- "People" skills
- Familiarity with the following is a plus: dendrology, silviculture, forest measurements, familiarity with various regulations and public forestry programs, logging, GIS, Microsoft Office competency, property surveys and wildlife management
- Identifying key landowners (i.e., larger ownerships, drier ground not currently represented by consulting foresters).
- Initiating and maintaining contact with key landowners to help assess their needs and goals and identifying ways in which timber harvests might help achieve them.
- Establish strong working relationships with consulting foresters, state foresters, extension specialists and USDA "farm" agencies.
- Maintaining a consistent communications effort directed toward private forest landowners and forestry professionals, including exploring ways for joint educational efforts with Maryland Forests Association.
- Work closely with support staff to maintain records of initial contacts with landowners, results, and any needed follow-up actions.
- Assist, as needed with cruising, boundary marking and other fieldwork plus logging administration.
- Regular communications with ESFP managers to report progress and assure coordination with other functions of the company.
- Represent ESFP in local organizations that include forest landowners.