10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and computational biology, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com. is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and computational biology, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.Computational Biologist Summer Intern - Pipeline Development
The Computational Biology group at 10x Genomics is looking for an outstanding graduate student intern to work with us in the summer of 2021. The successful candidate will contribute to product development and developing algorithms for processing 10x data. This includes deep-dive analysis of cutting-edge in-house R&D and collaborator datasets, algorithm analysis & prototyping, implementation of new features, and improving the functionality of 10x's software solutions.
The ideal candidate will be interested in method development for single cell genomics, drawing on training in statistics, optimization, graph algorithms, text algorithms, and beyond. The ability to communicate complex scientific ideas clearly and work well in a team environment is essential. The right candidate must also have strong programming skills. Any prior experience combining novel and existing tools into effective pipelines is a plus. Individuals applying for this position must ideally be self-starters, strategic thinkers, and thrive in a fast paced environment.Key Opportunities
Required Skills And Background
- Develop and test new algorithms and methods for single-cell transcriptomics data across a number of novel applications
- Build statistical simulations to explore algorithm performance under a wide array of experimental conditions
- Develop custom analyses to guide the development of core 10X technologies and products
- Strong programming ability in Python or R, Rust or C/C++
- PhD student in computational biology or other quantitative field (e.g., physics, mathematics, computer science, statistics, electrical engineering or similar)
- Ability to communicate complex scientific ideas clearly and work well in a team environment
- A combination of mathematical depth with a healthy respect for the imperfections inherent in real-world data
- Ability to quickly develop custom methods and apply them to large data sets
- Familiarity with NGS technologies and data analysis tools (e.g. bwa, samtools, GATK)
- Does the internship have to be over the summer?
- Depending on the match between the candidate, the problem(s) and their scope, and other logistics, there is potentially flexibility regarding the time of the year and the duration of the internship. However, we would like the internship to be at least 3 months long, since it is hard to make a significant contribution towards difficult scientific challenges in less time than that.
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.