Computational Biologist - Analysis Ecosystem
About The Role
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join our Computational Biology group. You will work to manage the relationships between internally-developed 10x Genomics computational tools and the third-party ecosystem of single-cell and spatial analysis packages. You will be a conduit between 10x Genomics and developers in the wider community. This will require you to work with R&D, the Computational Biology group and the Commercial teams within 10x Genomics.
You will build and manage relationships with developers of computational tools that enable analysis of data from 10x Genomics assays. You will work with those developers to accelerate their success by sharing knowledge and contributing code to third-party open source repositories. More broadly, you will contribute to 10x Genomics' strategy for Open Source Software and the overall software strategy at 10x.
You have a strong background in computational biology or bioinformatics and you have experience building analysis tools for genomics, ideally for single-cell or spatial gene expression data from 10x Genomics assays. You have strong software engineering skills and can contribute high-quality code to a diverse range of codebases.
You are able to communicate your ideas clearly, build strong relationships and work effectively with an interdisciplinary internal team and with external people. You are a strategic thinker, highly motivated, proactive and flexible in changing direction and methods. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, communicate clearly and get the job done.What You Will Do
To Be Successful In This Role, You Will Need
- Build and maintain relationships with developers of computational tools relevant to analysis of data from 10x Genomics assays across our single cell, spatial and in situ platforms
- Manage early-access programs for data from new 10x Genomics products
- Contribute code to third-party open source repositories to improve interoperability, new assay support, performance, and compatibility when working with 10x data
- Contribute ideas and code to internal 10x Genomics computational biology and software tools
- Contribute to software strategy at 10x Genomics
- Keep abreast of the external tools landscape. Test and explore new tools as they are published
Additional Desirable Skills To Have
- PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. biology, bioinformatics, computational/systems biology, physics, mathematics, computer science)
- Experience building tools for the analysis of genomics data or data from a related field
- Experience with contribution to and management of open source software projects
- Strong programming ability in interpreted languages such as Python or R as well as a compiled language such as Rust or C++
- First-class communication skills and ability to build strong relationships with internal and external partners
- Ability to think strategically and to combine information from multiple sources to assist in decision making
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts in both molecular and computational biology
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas with an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work independently
- Experience building tools that work with data from 10x Genomics assays
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.