CONSERVATION LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
This is a part-time position funded for 1 year. Expected hours: 20-29 per week
The Atlanta Botanical Garden invites applications for the position of Conservation Laboratory Technician, for the Southeastern Center of Conservation within the Department of Conservation & Research at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Conservation Laboratories Supervisor. The primary duties of this position are to:
- Perform seed and pollen banking, leaf tissue collection, and herbarium voucher preparation necessary to complete the objectives of the Institute of Museum and Library Services funded project, “Safeguarding the Atlanta Botanical Garden’s Conservation Collections”
- Assist with DNA isolation, PCR, sample preparation, and general organization in the Conservation Genetics Laboratory.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greenhouse and nursery collection of seed, pollen, leaf tissue, and herbarium vouchers. Seasonal travel to Gainesville, GA will be required for collections.
- Perform laboratory functions such as DNA isolation using the CTAB method, PCR, leaf tissue preservation, seed counting, seed viability testing (tetrazolium assays, microCT scans, and X ray scans), labeling, and general organization.
- Prepare samples for submission to external laboratories.
- Maintain detailed records of all collections and laboratory procedures according to standard operating procedures.
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and adaptable.
- Associate or Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Botany, Biotechnology, Horticulture, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of technical laboratory experience.
- Prior experience with seed and pollen collection, tetrazolium testing, DNA isolation, and herbarium voucher preparation is highly desired.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License with good driving record
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lb.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to spend long periods of time in the laboratory performing complex protocols. Ability to take careful notes and improve laboratory organization. Ability to lift 50 lb. is required.
MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public and co-workers and peer professionals.
The Atlanta Botanical Garden requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to employment.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
It is the policy of the Atlanta Botanical Garden to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please email resume, cover letter, and list of three references to Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org, all files should include applicants last name, document title, and title of the position you are applying for (Smith_Resume_LabTechnician).
Review of Applications begins immediately