CONSERVATION SEED BANK CURATOR
The Atlanta Botanical Garden invites applications for the position of Seed Bank Curator, for the Southeastern Center of Conservation within the Department of Conservation & Research at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Conservation Laboratories Supervisor to advance research and protocols within the Garden’s Micropropagation and Seed Bank laboratories. The primary duties of this position are to:
- Perform seed and pollen viability tests, upkeep plants in vitro via micropropagation and tissue culture, hone cryopreservation techniques, and clean and curate seeds, roots, and other plant derivatives for conservation, research and restoration.
- Compile data and maintain exceptional records from laboratory protocols related to seed banking, micropropagation, and cryopreservation to refine complex institutional standard operating procedures.
- Train volunteers on standard operating procedures and communicate laboratory techniques to visiting researchers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Document and update changing standard operating procedures.
- Summarize collection accession data and contribute tables to reports.
- Create content for education and outreach communications to public and scientific audiences (social media posts, newsletters, and research presentations)
- Perform sterile techniques exceptionally well under a laminar flow hood.
- Monitor in vitro cultures for contamination and perform decontamination as needed.
- Assist with collection of seed, pollen, roots, leaf tissue, and herbarium vouchers from the field, nursery, and greenhouse as needed.
- Conduct germination trials, tetrazolium, and other seed viability tests.
- Image, score, and upkeep germination trials and pollen viability assessments.
- Prepare samples for x-ray and micro-CT viability tests.
- Prepare stock solutions and media for the laboratories.
- Assist with reporting and maintaining inventory within the lab.
- Conduct routine maintenance of the facility and all laboratory equipment.
- Manipulation of general databases, spreadsheets, and Survey123.
- Certification by the AOSA, SCST, Certified Viability Technologist (CVT), or Registered Seed Technologist (RST) is highly desirable.
- Master of Science degree in Biology, Botany, Horticulture, or related field preferred. Associate or Bachelor of Science degree, with equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of two years of seed bank or technical laboratory experience.
- Prior experience with seed and pollen analysis, and tissue culture is highly desired.
- Experience with data analysis (e.g., ANOVA, multivariate analyses, etc.) and the use of statistical software (e.g., R, JMP, etc.).
- Highly organized and adaptable with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with high attention to detail and adherence to laboratory research.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- High-level critical thinking, analytic and proactive problem-solving skills.
- Strong ability to document experiments and troubleshoot protocols.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License with good driving record
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Visual acuity, manual dexterity and attention to detail sufficient to clean seeds proficiently. Ability to spend long periods of time in the laboratory performing complex protocols. Ability to take careful notes and improve laboratory organization. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lb.
MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to effectively respond to multiple, changing and often conflicting priorities is essential. Must be able to effectively interact with the general public and co-workers and peer professionals.
The Atlanta Botanical Garden requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to employment.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
It is the policy of the Atlanta Botanical Garden to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please email resume, cover letter, and list of three references to Careers at email@example.com, all files should include applicants last name, document title, and title of the position you are applying for (Smith_Resume_SeedBankCurator).
Review of Applications immediately.