Rarebase is an early-stage biotechnology public benefit corporation based in Palo Alto, California working to advance personalized medicine for the thousands of genetic diseases that have no effective treatments. We operate at the intersection of technology and biology, collaborating closely with patient communities to ensure that drug discovery and development is aligned with our shared goals - to bring effective treatments to the clinic as quickly and safely as possible.
Our Function™ drug and target discovery platform integrates cellular modeling of disease with functional genomics, high throughput screening, high content imaging and computational biology to identify molecules that address the underlying biology of genetic diseases. To support Function's rapid growth, we are building a next-generation automated lab and are recruiting a San Francisco Bay Area-based scientific team to be intimately involved in its development.
Rarebase is backed by top-tier institutional investors, pharma and biotech angel investors, families personally affected by rare disease, and others that truly care about our mission to re-invent therapeutic development for genetic diseases. Our advisors are leaders in the biotech and genetic disease community.The Opportunity
We're looking for a Senior Research Associate, High Throughput Biology to support the development of the Function™ platform and assist in the design, execution and scale-up of our High Throughput Biology function.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience with the application of high content imaging (e.g. Cell Painting) in the context of cell-based high throughput screening, and have experience in experimental approaches used in target ID, validation and MOA characterization.
This individual in this role will work closely with the broader scientific team to build out the lab facility that will house the development of our work.
As an early member of Rarebase's scientific team, you will be joining a biotech startup that has long term stability but yet is very much in formation, providing many opportunities for significant growth and impact. You will also work alongside a multidisciplinary team and an outstanding team of scientists focused on conducting inventive and innovative science that will lead to the discovery of novel medicines. What you'll do
What you'll bring
- Apply your expertise with imaging-based technologies to develop and execute high throughput screens
- Create highly relevant cellular models of rare, genetically-defined diseases using iPSCs and patient-derived cells.
- Contribute creatively to the company's R&D strategy, helping drive actionable drug discovery hypotheses from the data.
- Champion ideas for new target discovery and technology development projects.
- Work independently with external labs to initiate and execute scientific research projects and/or development strategies.
- Collaborate with research associates, automation specialists, and pre-clinical development teams.
- Communicate data and scientific results to both internal and external audiences with a high degree of sophistication.
- Masters degree in pharmacology or related discipline
- 8+ years of experience in an industry setting
- Track record of inventive and innovative drug discovery/target ID and ability to work as a member of a highly productive, cutting edge, multi-disciplinary team
- Outstanding assay development and troubleshooting skills, expert knowledge of assay technologies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to train others in the successful implementation of new technologies and the execution of new assays and screens
- A relentless drive and curiosity coupled with great resilience and adaptability
What we offer
- This person will need to be in the lab up to five days a week.
- Prolonged periods of standing or sitting at the laboratory bench.
- In lab and lab support activities may require occasional maneuvering of items of 25 lbs. during operations and/or storage of consumables.
- An opportunity to work closely with patient organizations on translational research.
- Premium health and dental insurance
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded startup
- Generous vacation policy