At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Discovery Biology team is seeking an innovative and motivated immunologist to help advance our portfolio of cutting-edge immuno-oncology and immune cell engager therapeutics. The successful candidate will have expertise in T/NK cell biology and the tumor microenvironment. In addition, the candidate will be able to independently design and execute studies to drive our T/NK cell engager programs forward, as well as to propose novel concepts and targets for development of next-generation immune cell-based cancer therapy. This scientist will work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment involving multiple teams across the company.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identification and validation of novel targets for development of T/NK cell engagers and cell therapies.
- Independently design, develop and execute novel in vitro and ex vivo cell-based assays/models to evaluate the efficacy and specificity of immune cell-engaging biotherapeutics.
- Application of knowledge of immune cell activation, infiltration and function to conceive and develop next-generation immune cell engagers with improved efficacy and safety profiles.
- Design and implement critical studies required to drive hypothesis-driven research.
- Project leadership and collaboration across multiple projects / roles in a matrixed environment.
- Anticipate the need for contingencies and demonstrate flexibility through development of alternative strategies
- Present project and strategic framework updates to leadership teams across the company.
- Provide supervision of junior scientists and contribute to building the culture of the team.
- Maintain cutting edge knowledge of immunology and oncology.
- Ph.D. in immunology, immuno-oncology, tumor immunology, or a related field, with at least 4 years of successful postdoctoral experience as demonstrated by strong publication record or 4 years of relevant industry experience or M.S. with minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience or B.S. with minimum of 12 years of relevant work experience in relevant fields.
- Experience with immune and oncology related cell types including subset of T cells, NK cells, macrophages, MDSCs, DCs, fibroblasts/stroma, transformed tumor cells. Knowledge of T/NK cell biology and hands-on experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience with technologies typically employed to assess immune cell function including but not limited to subset of Luminex, MSD, IncuCyte-based assays, multi-parameter flow cytometry, T/NK cell activation assays, T/NK cell proliferation assays, 3-D cell cultures, imaging technologies.
- Demonstration of in-depth, scientific-directed, innovative thinking
- Self-motivated and focused with project management-oriented thinking; able to work on multiple projects in a matrix environment
- Ability to work well as both team member and as individual contributor is essential.
- Good communication skills for cross-functional, management and external interactions; excellent oral presentation skills are critical
- Requires strong organizational skills to ensure thorough and timely documentation of experiments, and preparation of data for compiling reports.
Experience with antibody drug discovery and immuno-oncology target identification / validation is an advantage.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.