At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The BMS Immuno-Oncology and Cell Therapy (IO-CT) Thematic Research Center (TRC) is dedicated to research supporting development of novel cellular immunotherapies based on two distinct and complementary platforms - Chimeric Antigen Receptors (CARs) and Engineered T Cell Receptors (eTCRs) technologies. Our goal is to revolutionize medicine by re-engaging the body's immune system to treat cancer.
We are seeking an enthusiastic junior scientist to join the Engineered T cell Biology team, part of Discovery Research in the IO-CT TRC. Our team's overall goal is to leverage attributes of CAR-T cell health, function and potency, as well as incorporate layered engineering strategies to improve the overall therapeutic potential of cellular therapies for BMS' Research and Clinical Development Pipelines.
This position will focus on in vitro characterization of primary human cells including sample processing, phenotypic and functional analyses, CAR T or eTCR generation, genetic engineering, and/or execution of various multiplexed assays. The ideal candidate would be familiar with cellular and molecular biology techniques including mammalian cell culture, bead-based or other methods of cell selection/enrichment, nucleic acid extraction/preparation, PCR/qPCR/ddPCR, flow cytometry and have a strong organizational ability. Prior experience with clinical samples, human T cells and/or evaluation of CAR-T is preferred.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Planning and execution of experiments and/or assay development
- Interrogation of primary human material; cell handling, setup and maintenance of tissue culture studies and performing various functional assays
- Nucleic acid isolation/handling and/or novel molecular assays
- FACS characterization across longitudinal studies and/or purification of cell populations of interest
- Communicate progress and results in group meetings
- Record keeping in an electronic notebook documenting experimental details
- Being flexible and amendable to working in a fast-paced, frequently evolving environment
- Expertise in cellular biology and sterile tissue culture techniques
- Highly organized, with the ability to manage large numbers of samples and independently track progress through varying stages of a process or project
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Prior experience with method development protocols
- Familiarity with general statistical practices
- Immunology background; working knowledge of cell types and functional assays
- Experience with low input cellular and molecular assays
- Experience with high-parameter FACS (10-15+ colors) and downstream analytical platforms (FlowJo, Prism, JMP etc.)
Level consideration will be determined based on prior experience.
- Research Associate: Bachelor's degree in cellular or molecular biology, biological engineering or a related scientific field with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Associate Scientist: Bachelor's degree with 2-3 years or Master's degree with 2 years of relevant experience.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.