Description:Is this you?
CEQA and NEPA are exciting environmental laws to you. You might even dub yourself a CEQA Geek or NEPA Nerd. You love helping clients anticipate issues, avoid or solve problems, and define environmental compliance strategies. You are experienced in effectively managing environmental compliance and planning projects. Owning the responsibility for medium to large, complex environmental documents is in your comfort zone, including quality assurance, client management, schedule and budget management, and team coordination. Working with colleagues and clients, including staff development, is something that motivates you. On any given day, you will work shoulder to shoulder with Ascent principals and analysts.
To keep up with CEQA and NEPA, you follow court decisions and participate regularly in legal and practice updates. Your personal copy of the CEQA statute and guidelines is dog-eared and coffee-stained, and the CEQ NEPA link is pinned to your desktop. You enjoy keeping up on environmental issues, like innovative urban planning, sustainable transportation, water, energy, biodiversity, or climate change.
Your skills are excellent for analytical thinking, writing, relationship building, and translating technical material into forms suitable for decision-makers and the public. Your past success also includes business development, proposal writing, and networking with prospective clients. Your attitude is positive and your personality is caring.
Here's what you would do:
We are seeking to fill this position in our Oakland office. In a typical week as an Ascent Senior Environmental Project Manager, you might:
- Work with clients on their most important, often complex, and challenging environmental planning documents
- Collaborate closely with Ascent principals, who support you in carrying out projects
- Team up, shoulder-to-shoulder, with a knowledgeable, interdisciplinary group of Ascent professionals in the Oakland, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, Irvine, or San Diego
- Brainstorm with your assistant project manager, who helps you coordinate projects
- Communicate directly with clients, regulatory agencies, sub-consultants, and stakeholders to understand and address a broad range of perspectives
- Prepare budgets and schedules, and carry out project work within agreed time frames and contract price
- Create, with your team, high-quality environmental and planning documents
- Provide quality review of documents, with attention to completeness, legal adequacy, technical accuracy, and readability
- Represent Ascent and our clients at public meetings, workshops, and open houses
- Contribute to and lead business development activities, including proposal preparation and relationship building with existing and prospective clients
- Participate in professional associations, such as speaking at conferences
- Help with mentoring and skill development of more junior staff
- Enjoy social and community service events, and the camaraderie of being an Ascentian
We are seeking a candidate who enjoys environmental planning and impact analysis and has a BS/MS in planning, environmental studies, geography, natural resources, physical sciences, or related field, along with about 7 to 10 years of experience. Professional qualifications include project management, CEQA/NEPA expertise, writing, and analytical skills, and engaging interpersonal skills. A record of successful environmental planning projects and working relationships with clients and regulatory agencies are needed. The successful candidate will help pursue and manage Bay Area environmental projects and have the opportunity to work on other projects across the state. Engagement with and guidance to early-career staff will be another opportunity.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging work environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees' careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation in important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in-service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. These policies apply to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.