Title: Program and Animal Assistant
Reports To: Program and Animal Coordinator
Starting Rate: $11.00
Locations: Lockwood Park
Season: May through October (Some winter and spring hours may be possible)
Summary of Duties:
* May assist with teaching horseback riding lessons, guiding trail rides on horseback, leading ag education field trips, coordinating and organizing special events, and other programs as determined by the Program and Animal Coordinator.
* May assist as a camp counselor for Camps as determined by the Program and Animal Coordinator.
* Performs horse and animal chore tasks including but not limited to catching and feeding animals assigned for grain, medicating and worming animals as needed, feeding hay, tending to animal injuries and catch and hold horses for the farrier and veterinarian
* May assist in the coordination, supervision and organization of programs and activities for Volunteer Program.
* May assist volunteers with training and demonstrating techniques for handling horses and ponies.
* Cross training in various areas could include Saturday office.
* Initiates, organizes, and leads program activities daily.
* Sets the tone for positive behavior and discipline using positive reinforcement for a safe zone/ environment for all participants following RPD code of conduct.
* Informs Program and Animal Coordinator of supplies needed and preserves and cares for equipment of the RPD.
* Represents the Park District in a friendly and positive manner when communicating with program participants, parents/guardians, staff, volunteers, and all other park visitors.
* Helps enforce program policy and procedures using positive communication with program participants, parents/guardians, staff, and volunteers.
* Be cheerful, positive, a team player, and ready to interact with all participants every day.
* Attends scheduled staff meetings and training sessions as determined by the Program and Animal Coordinator.
* Gives feedback on program concerns and positive experiences.
* Assesses and informs Program and Animal Coordinator of site safety concerns such as: park users, equipment, hazards, etc.
* Must be a minimum of 16 years old
* Horse experience a plus
* Ability to provide customers with expert care, sensitive consideration, and efficient service.
* Good communication skills including expressive, written, and receptive.
* Ability to follow direction from Program and Animal Coordinator, Park Manager, and/or Manager on Duty, demonstrating flexibility as a team player.
* Ability to problem solve in a variety of situations
* May be required to have First Aid, CPR, and AED training (can be obtained through the Rockford Park District)
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
* Medium Work:
Exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally
Exerting up to 20 lbs. of force frequently
Exerting up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects
* Dirt is common during cleaning part of job tasks continually
* Noise while working on or near tractors while completing checklists/job tasks daily
* Temperature extremes may be encountered during routine job duties
* Working with chemicals occasionally while cleaning
* Work pace/pressure large crowds during events