By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****Join us-Where your Career is a Force for Good!Job Description:Join the Red Cross Biomed Team!
If you're looking to help save lives and contribute to the mission of one of the nation's most respected humanitarian organizations, consider a career in biomedical services at the American Red Cross. As a Red Cross employee, you'll have opportunities to grow your career and be recognized and rewarded for your efforts. Most importantly, you'll work alongside dedicated individuals like yourself who live the values of our organization every day. Join us for a career that will motivate you to be your very best.
The American Red Cross is proud to be one of the Top-Rated Workplaces: Best Non-Profits and Top-Rated Workplaces: Veterans based on rankings and reviews on Indeed.The American Red Cross is looking for an experienced, full-time Technologist to join our Cellular Therapy team in Philadelphia, PA.This would be primarily a day shift position working Monday - Friday. Schedule flexibility is required due to the nature of our business. Will work 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift hours and occasional weekends.Summary:
Processes and cryopreserves Cellular Therapy products in a cleanroom (GMP manufacturing). Performs testing on all Manufactured blood products (iPBMC). Testing may include, but not limited
to the following: CBC (automated cell counts) and viability.Qualifications:
- BS degree in a science-related field with 1-year GMP lab experience.
- Must have cell/tissue culture experience.
- Other experience of special value to the Red Cross Cellular Therapy Laboratory.
- At least 6 months of experience working in the Cellular Therapy Laboratory as a Senior Technologist I and overall acceptable job performance.
- Should have comprehensive knowledge of basic blood component processing and general blood bank techniques, as well as, stem cell processing techniques and principles; knowledge of basic hematology, i.e cell counting methods (both automated and manual).
- Must be able to recognize problems and determine solutions.
- Must have excellent communication skills to solicit information, teach and communicate problems and ideas.
- Must have excellent math skills.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must have an excellent aseptic technique and be able to work in a GMP environment (Class 10,000 / ISO 7 cleanroom).
- Must have experience with good documentation practices (GDP) and ALCOA.
- Must be able to interact with commercial manufacturing clients
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to coordinate the activities of several departments for the success of the project.
The American Red Cross requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. This means that all individuals working for the organization must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the start of their employment OR have begun the vaccination process before their start date. Upon being offered a position, individuals will be required to submit proof of vaccination. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to medical or religious reasons, you may qualify for an exemption. If seeking an exemption, you will be required to submit documentation and your request must be approved before being hired.
- Assure that all laboratory activities performed to follow the American Red Cross BSDs, state and federal regulations - including CFRs and local standard operating procedures.
- Become proficient with all procedures/methods and testing used in the Cellular Therapy Laboratory: Understand and follow the scheduling of Cellular Therapy products.
- Arrange and follow-up on the receipt or delivery of apheresis units from the Red Cross, as needed.
- Perform the procedures/methods and testing currently performed in Contract / Commercial Manufacturing products: Blood product Manufacturing in cleanrooms under GMP conditions, CBC (automated), cell based assays, environmental monitoring, as well as other procedures that may be defined and performed as needed.
- Distribute blood samples for testing to applicable laboratories at the American Red Cross, Penn-Jersey Region (ARC-PJ), or ship to outside reference labs for additional applicable testing.
- Maintain accurate inventory of contract / commercial manufacturing supplies.
- Perform equipment quality control, preventive maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Document and log accurately and concurrently laboratory activities and donor testing.
- Assists in training all personnel in the Cellular Therapy Lab: Develops and updates training plans. Trains staff to perform procedures as outlined in laboratory SOPs. Plans and presents operational in-services. Retrains staff as needed to perform new or modified SOPs. Documents all training activities.
- Generate procedures and reports using MS Word, Excel, and Access.
- Assists in the development of new assays or procedures, as required to meet departmental needs: Attends meetings and continuing education programs to keep abreast of relevant innovations in the field of Cellular Therapy. Assists in developing or modifying SOPs for which such innovations are applicable. Develop process control plans including new equipment qualification and process change control plans.
- Data entry of all product information and testing into a computer database.
- Retrieval of product information from the computer database.
- Each laboratory staff is expected to participate in the quality control effort by Running controls; Repeating runs when controls fail; Recording daily temperatures, monitoring equipment (i.e. refrigerators, centrifuges, water baths, etc.); Performs preventive maintenance of equipment, and maintain a neat and clean environment; Organize workflow and prioritize so that work is done efficiently
- Observe safety rules with regards to chemical hygiene and handling of Liquid Nitrogen and biohazardous samples
- Follow aseptic technique when processing products
- Follow all GMP/GLP requirements for processing products, testing, and training.
- Perform additional jobs that may be needed for the efficient functioning of the laboratory and Identify and maintain laboratory reagents and records.
As part of the world's largest humanitarian network, the American Red Cross places top priority on the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, blood donors, and those who receive our aid and services. Our commitment to public health is unwavering-both during the COVID-19 pandemic and year-round.Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights