Responsible for the accurate performance of laboratory tests that determine the presence, absence, or cause of disease. Will conduct a full range of tests from the most routine to the most complex with little or no supervision. Responsible for the operation of computers, precision instruments, and other complex electronic equipment. Embodies the Memorial Health System Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values.Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry, or Biology. Required.
- Certification by a national registry for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCP or equivalent) as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Laboratory Scientist or eligible for certification in the above category with subsequent certification within one year of hire date required.
- Customer service and laboratory experience preferred.
Other Knowledge/Skills/Abilities/Working Conditions-Physical Requirements & Atmosphere:
- Physical requirements include repetitive motions of the hands, bending, stooping, reaching, and carrying objects that may weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Age Specific Competence Requirement: Specimens are obtained from infants, children, adolescents, adults, and older adults.
- Potential for exposure to infectious agents and/or physical injury.
- Venipunctures, capillary punctures and arterial punctures
- Work in all areas of the clinical laboratory-generalist
- Operation of computers, precision instruments and other complex electronic equipment
- Assumes supervisory role when required
- Follows all policies
- Performs quality assurance functions
- Works weekends and holidays
- Hours and shifts may vary depending on circumstances
- Performs testing with little or no supervision
- Participation in all GPE initiatives, including Lab subcommittee GPE initiatives
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
- Assists with educational process for students in the laboratory.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.