About Loam Bio:
Loam Bio, which has rebranded from the Soil Carbon Co., was founded in 2019 by a group of scientists, farmers and entrepreneurs in Australia and North America to both remove CO2 from the atmosphere and improve soil health. Loam Bio is a fast-paced, rapidly growing organization. The organisation is leading a large-scale research program in the area of microbial carbon sequestration to increase soil carbon levels in agricultural soils as a climate change mitigation and adaptation tool. We focus on endophyte technologies that generate multiple benefits to farming systems and the environment. The organisation is made up of researchers and practitioners working across microbiology, soil carbon and agronomy to deliver practical, scientifically validated methods of carbon sequestration.
About the Role:
In this position, you will work under the direction of our scientists to assist in the successful execution of the Loam Bio R&D program. The US microbial laboratory program is designed to isolate, purify, characterize, screen, store and produce microbial samples, specimens and consortia. The role will also support efforts in molecular characterization of microbes /communities as well as greenhouse and field trialing activities. Culturing, screening, and management of microbial collections is an additional key component of the role. The role will focus on implementation of internal operations in this area as well as collaboration with other Soil Carbon Co labs and those of collaborators. Theresearch associate will work closely with internal and external lab-based research teams in protocol and compliance implementation, maintenance of relevant data, documentation, and inventory information.
The Research Associate will be responsible for:
- Knowledge of and compliance with all communicated permitting, protocol and safety standards
- Serve as key resource in areas of microbe isolation, production and screening
- Implement and optimize protocols for microbe sample processing
- Implement and optimize protocols for microbe isolation through library creation
- Track microbial sample and library inventories
- Implement laboratory screening protocols for microbe selection and characterization
- Implement biomaterials production and quality control for microbe R&D utilization
- Bachelor's in Plant Science, Plant Biology, Microbiology, or Soil Science with 1-3yrs of industry experience in isolation, screening of plant associated beneficial microbes/research experience in plant microbe interaction.
- Excellent microbial laboratory skills (sterile technique, record keeping, adherence to protocols, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to implement processes and laboratory methods for delivery of desired outcomes
- Demonstrated ability in application of appropriate scientific methodologies and related documentation
- Experience working in team settings and/or collaborating to deliver high quality joint outcomes
- Strong time management and progress reporting ability
- Accuracy and completeness of documentation per protocol expectations
- Ability to network and collaborate through in person and remote interactions (email, chats, phone, video conference, …)
Benefits and Working Conditions:
- Fast-growing start-up with many opportunities for capacity building and career development.
- The role will be working out of our laboratories at University Enterprise Laboratories, 1000 Westgate Drive, Saint Paul, MN 55114
- Work alongside leading scientists and innovators in an international organisation.
- Enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture, with a family-friendly attitude.
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Generous benefit package including health, dental and vision insurance and 401k match