SENIOR MANAGER - ONCOLOGY BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT - SCIENTIFIC EVALUATIONW. Coast Pharmaceutical Leader seeks a Senior Manager Business Development who is a highly motivated and scientifically curious person with a depth of experience in oncology to join their Business Development External R&D group. A Pharmaceutical Industry Sr. or Principal Scientist in Oncology who has a strong interest in transitioning to a business development role would be a viable candidate for this role. The role is currently remote but the ideal candidate would be able to go into an office on occasion in S San Francisco or in Greater Los Angeles when in-person meetings are required. Will also consider remote - working W. Coast hours with travel as necessary.
The position focuses on identifying and assessing external innovation from universities, venture/investment firms, small start-up companies, and other large pharm and the Sr. Manager will be responsible for the global search efforts to support the Therapeutic Area's strategic objectives, as well as managing the technical due diligence to ensure a thorough understanding of the potential and the risks of each opportunity.
For opportunities of high interest, this person will partner with a Transaction lead to execute agreements that enhance the value of the opportunity, including venture investments, licensing, collaborations, and acquisitions.
- Identify, prioritize, and evaluate innovative therapeutic opportunities from early preclinical through commercial stage
- Proactively source opportunities via internal and external networking, attending scientific sessions, monitoring of pipelines, news, and other sources such as KOLs, VCs, and industry leaders
- Guide and manage evaluations with cross-functional teams, including R&D, Commercial, CMC/manufacturing, Legal, IP, and others
- Provide recommendations and guidance, and ensure robust and efficient decision-making processes
- Work closely with other Business Development functions to ensure appropriate deal structures and valuations are achieved
- Support the generation of therapeutic area (TAs) strategies in conjunction with the TAs
- Reach out externally and internally, sharing the company's Business Development vision
- This role requires strong collaboration, organization, scientific, and strategic skills, as well as the ability to prepare and present clear communications for senior management
- DOCTORATE DEGREE IN A SCIENTIFICALLY RELATED DISCIPLINE
- A depth of ONCOLOGY RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
- 3+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry drug development with strong technical R&D experience (A Sr. or Principal Oncology Drug Development scientist with a strong interest in transitioning to a business development role would be a viable candidate for this role).
- Strong scientific, organizational, communication, and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with a record of key accomplishments
- Excellent presentation skills
- Effective communication skills pertaining to scientific and business development
- The ability to foresee and solve problems, and prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong team player who also works well independently
- Ability to interface effectively with all-levels of experts across differing functional expertise within the organization, including Commercial, Legal, CMC, and Finance.
- Demonstrated ability to create and build relationships with internal and external parties.
- Professional demeanor with strong decision-making skills and ability to work calmly in a high intensity and dynamic environment