Corning, NY, US, 14831Company:
Requisition Number: 51800
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, building and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems. Corning's history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played a meaningful role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through a creative and collaborative research and development process.
Corning Incorporated focuses on building a diverse global workforce where differences are celebrated, and employees feel safe bringing their "whole selves" to work. Our Diversity Network hosts 18 active and distinctive Employee Resource Groups. Employees have access to Allyship resources, podcasts, an internal video channel, digital learning series and trainings, all focused on building and celebrating global diversity and inclusion. Corning has been recognized as a leader in this regard and has been consistently recognized as a national employer of choice.
Scope of Position:
- You will join a dynamic, cross-functional group that focuses on making new products, processes, and systems a reality by accelerating innovation into manufacturing. We invent, develop, and integrate measurement and other systems for Corning's S&T groups and Businesses Divisions. We work in small to medium sized teams to capture stakeholder requirements, understand associated fundamental building blocks of technology, realize proof-of-concept systems, then migrate into Manufacturing-friendly first-generation equipment. The role is a challenging and rewarding applied physics/engineering position driven to deliver impact in emerging and established Divisions.
- Develop fundamental understanding for new measurement system approaches using first principles derivations, modeling, and lab experiments.
- Meet with stakeholders to develop system requirements, establish design constraints, and set priorities.
- Design and build lab-scale instrumentation as proof-of-concept prototypes for inspection challenges.
- Lead brainstorming and other ideation activities related to system engineering and measurement technologies.
- Design and execute lab experiments to evaluate novel measurement technologies that could be based on optical, electrical, acoustic, or other contrast mechanisms.
- Communicate testing results and project progress to team members, stakeholders, and leadership.
- Partner with outside suppliers, universities, and contractors to develop novel technologies and instruments, and to industrialize and scale lab prototypes.
- Integrate new systems and new technologies into Development and Manufacturing lines.
- Transfer new technologies to equipment and process receivers, provide remote system support, and develop system documentation.
- Capture intellectual property in the form of Invention Disclosures, Research Reports, and Patent Applications.
Education and Years of Experience:
- MS + 5 years' experience, or PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science or related field.
- Experience in Corporate setting is preferred.
- Strong technical expertise in Optics, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or Metrology.
- Highly motivated and ability to work independently to learn new skills and best practices.
- Proficiency for problem-solving, critical thinking, and self-evaluation.
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse technical and non-technical audience, including non-native English speakers.
- Ability to work effectively in a small matrixed team: be cooperative, flexible, and respectful, communicate constructively, show commitment, and work toward a common goal.
- Ability to quickly learn novel measurement and instrumentation techniques, such as those based on x-rays or acoustics.
- Experience with measurement systems design, theory, and techniques such as interferometry, microscopy, thermography, photometry, scatterometry, and machine vision.
- Experience with opto-mechanical and/or electro-optic system design, theory, and techniques.
- Deep understanding of statistical methods: measurement system analysis, design of experiment, error analysis, etc.
- Experience with Manufacturing Engineering Excellence, Process Excellence, Reliability testing, Six Sigma, and other approaches for framing challenging problems.
- Project management training and expertise, including managing scope, budget, timeline, and resource priorities.
- Expertise with MatLAB, LabView, Python, C/C#, or other data and system design software
- Expertise with SolidWorks or other CAD drawing package.
- Experience leveraging external suppliers and system integrators to design, build, and install system components or full systems in manufacturing environment.
- Excellent presentation skills.
Does this sound like you?