Type of Requisition:
RegularClearance Level Must Currently Possess:
NoneClearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain:
No Suitability RequiredPublic Trust/Other Required:
NACI (T1)Job Family:
GDIT is seeking an In Vitro Drug Testing Technician to support the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research Experimental Therapeutics Branch. The mission of the Department of Drug Discovery within the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research Experimental Therapeutics Branch is the discovery of novel therapeutics for the prevention and cure of malaria, leishmaniasis, and antibiotic resistant bacteria. This is carried out through the integration of modern drug design and classical medicinal chemistry, and includes global surveillance of antimalarial drug resistance of parasite isolates, investigation of drug toxicity mechanisms through in vitro and in vivo testing, and the incorporation of emerging technologies in bioinformatics, genomics, high-throughput-screening and robotic instrumentation to enhance molecular/cellular screening assays and drive the acceleration of the discovery process.
- Provide in vivo surge support when there is an increased need for in vivo ready compounds
- Acquire all needed training for ALAC accreditation as an animal handler as well as entry onto an IACUC approved animal protocol.
- Carry out in vivo studies on IACUC approved protocols to include: anti-microbial infections/inoculations (using multiple routes of administration, such as inter-peritoneal (IP), orally (PO), and intra-muscularly (IM)), treatment, animal husbandry, data collection, and data analysis.
- Prepare drug formulations to the specifications of the IACUC approved protocols.
- Establish and maintain searchable database containing salient characteristics of cryopreserved samples including location in the cryobank.
- Analyze and summarize experimental data for reports and presentations and publications
- Assist with the preparation of IACUC protocols and amendments as required.
- Ensure all equipment within the laboratory are maintained and serviced as required.
- Maintain a safe working environment and adhere to applicable safety regulations in a BSL 1 and/or 2 laboratory.
- Attend and present at relevant national scientific conferences, if required by Department of Discovery.
- BS in Microbiology, biomedical field, or related field from an accredited university.
- Knowledge Base: The contractor shall support, perform, and maintain all aspects of the in vivo anti-microbial models for rodents. The contractor shall collect blood samples and perform clinical observations in the animal models. The contractor shall analyze and summarize experimental data from the imaging system for reports, publications, and presentations. The contractor shall assist in the preparation of IACUC protocols and amendments as required. The contractor shall compile the data into a suitable format for upload into the LIMS. The contractor shall ensure that all lab equipment is maintained and serviced as required.
- Physical Capabilities: Work may involve long periods of standing and handling of BSL2 level infectious agents, toxic chemicals, and blood-borne pathogens. Work will require the ability to operate research equipment requiring manual dexterity.
- Work environment: BSL 1 and/or BSL 2 laboratory and animal BSL 1 and/or BSL 2 laboratory. Potential exposure to infectious agents, toxic chemicals, and blood-borne pathogens. Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment. Will also work in an office setting.
- Must be a US citizen with the ability to obtain a favorable NACLC T3 security investigation.
#MilitaryHealthGDITJobsScheduled Weekly Hours:
Telecommuting Not AllowedWork Location:
USA MD Fort DetrickAdditional Work Locations:
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: To protect the health and safety of its employees and to comply with customer requirements, GDIT may require employees in certain positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site requirements.
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.