UDR, Inc. is now hiring a District Manager to join our team supporting our Silicon Valley portfolio.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for operations of a portfolio of communities. Ensure the optimum operational and financial performance of the communities, including personnel, collections, resident services, maintenance, revenue enhancing, and other capital improvements, contracted services, administration, reporting, and safety and compliance. Monitors budgets, ensures efficiency of the community, sustains mechanical and cosmetic maintenance and preservation/renovation of the community.
District Manager is the first level in development for the Regional Manger role.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to the Area Director or VP
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Community Directors, District Service Managers, Resident Services Managers, or other staff as needed
1. Identify opportunities to increase controllable net operating income by implementing programs designed to achieve the district's financial, operating, and resident services goals and to promote the long-term financial growth of the assets.
2. Gather and interpret current market and economic information that impacts the communities and implement short and long-range marketing to achieve the communities' occupancy goals.
3. Monitor policies and procedures appropriate to the day-to-day operations of the communities.
4. Meet and support key community/district objectives, in order to meet or exceed organizational expectation.
5. Resolve customer service issues that escalate from the communities.
6. Promote activities that demonstrate quality service to residents, consistent with the organization's philosophy and work with communities to implement on-going resident retention programs to minimize turnover and promote resident satisfaction.
7. Conduct weekly routine site inspections to ensure that the physical aspects of the communities are within the company standards regarding the grounds, curb appeal, market ready units, risk management/safety requirements, cleanliness, and general appearance. Manage quality control to meet company expectations. Work with the Community Directors and/or Resident Service Managers to meet established expectations for curb appeal and market ready homes.
8. Produce administrative, accounting, and other reports as needed and required.
9. Develop and maintain emergency action procedures for the properties.
10. Hire and train new staff and develop staff to maximize potential.
11. Supervise direct reporting staff in accordance with overall company policy.
12. Monitor staff performance including performance reviews and address performance problems through corrective action and dismissal.
13. Approve time records and requests for time off.
14. Assist direct reporting staff to address and resolve concerns or complaints involving job duties and job descriptions, performance standards, relations with coworkers, relations with supervisors and managers.
15. Manage and oversee communities and staffing and when needed due to management leave of absence, job vacancy, etc., fill-in as necessary. Schedule office staff to ensure maximum coverage as determined by staffing model and individual property needs.
16. Ensure leadership style creates a productive, motivated, informed, inspired, engaged and goal-oriented team.
17. Comply with all Company policies and procedures related to employment.
18. Commit to Living the UDR Values each day in every action taken when executing the essential functions of the job.
19. Perform other duties or projects as assigned or as necessary.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge of organizational and community policies and procedures. Knowledge and understanding of business concepts and research principles, processes, and techniques. Knowledge of the principles of strategic business decision-making. Ability to apply policies and procedures to solve Company issues.
Demonstrated understanding of overall property management. Demonstrate the ability to proactively prioritize needs and effectively manage resources. Demonstrated experience and expertise in project planning and management; in analysis of operations for the purpose of proposing innovative solutions to problems; and in organizing, writing, and editing information to make it meaningful to a wide array of audiences. Must know and follow the Fair Housing laws. Strong personnel management skills. Knowledge of fiscal management and office management techniques.
Ability to develop and prepare business analysis and plans. Ability to exercise initiative, problem solving and decision-making skills. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, exercise sound judgment and clearly communicates findings and advice. Ability to travel, when applicable.
Skilled as a powerful coach, strong leader and mentor. Skilled in interviewing and hiring strong associates who will work to meet organizational goals. Ability to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job. Ability to apply the principles and practices of work leadership and management. Ability to motivate the community staff and manage their performance in accordance with company policies, values, and business practices.
Proven exceptional communication skills both written and verbal. Performs duties that require considerable initiative, independent judgment, and strong communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with residents, prospective residents, vendors, contractors, Company managers, and associates. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from subordinates, residents, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to quickly develop strong internal working relationships.
Skilled in the use of the internet, spreadsheets, relational databases, and word processing software. Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Some bending, stooping and stretching. Occasionally lifting items weighing up to 30 lbs. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Regular and consistent attendance on the job is an essential function.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work. Ability to travel extensively, when needed and. Incumbents must be able to physically access all exterior and interior parts of the community and amenities. Periodic exposure to outside elements where temperature, weather, odors, and/or landscape may be unpleasant and/or hazardous.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor's Degree in Business, related field, or its equivalent, preferred. In lieu of degree, equivalent experience in residential properties, rental operations, or related business operations is required.
2. Minimum of four to six years' supervisory experience, preferably in residential properties, rental operations, or related business operations required.
3. Minimum of four to six years' experience in a strategic planning, financial analysis, business development role, or operational management preferably within the real estate industry.
4. OneSite or other site operating system experience is required.
5. Must have and maintain a valid driver's license unless otherwise noted.