In-Class Academic Aide, Student Access Center
*This position is located at the KU School of Pharmacy Wichita campus.
The University Academic Support Centers seek a reliable and detail-oriented candidate to serve as an aide/sighted assistant to a student in pharmacy classrooms and labs. The In-Class Academic Aide will attend all classes with the student and be available to describe objects, drawings and components of the curriculum. This a part-time, temporary position. The primary responsibility in this position is to serve as an academic aide to assist a blind student in the PharmD program at KU School of Pharmacy Wichita campus. Position will begin January 2022. Ideally the candidate will remain in the position for the duration of the program expected to last three to four years.
Anticipated need is roughly 10-15 hours per week.
University Academic Support Centers (UASC) is a comprehensive student support unit designed to provide resources to strengthen the academic skills and written communication of students at the University of Kansas while supporting the University's commitment to the academic success and holistic development of students. Specifically, UASC supports the intellectual development of individuals by encouraging active participation both in and out of the classroom; coordinating services and programs in which students can acquire and practice life management, decision-making, and learning skills; and linking students to other campus resources that will help them learn these skills. University Academic Support Centers is a department within the Office of Academic Success.
In-class duties (75%)
* Attend classes with the student and be available to describe objects, drawings, and components of the curriculum.
* Physically manipulate objects and equipment per student directions in a laboratory setting.
* Lecture materials will be converted to Braille or other accessible formats ahead of time, but there may be situations during lecture or lab where Q&A or class discussion will lead to new information that will need to be described or otherwise made accessible to the student.
* Use technologies such as Picture in a Flash (PIAF) machine or other tactile graphics devices. Training on such technologies will be provided.
Out-of-class duties (15%)
* Convert visual objects/charts/pictures into readable material, whether that is a written description or a tactile rendering.
* Support School of Pharmacy staff in various administrative tasks related to accommodations.
Exam assistance (10%)
* Read/scribe exams/quizzes as necessary.
* This position is required to work on-site at the KU School of Pharmacy Wichita campus. Official supervision is from the Lawrence campus, but the position will work with an on-site supervisor in Wichita for most job duties.
* Experience using common office technologies such as Microsoft Office programs, as demonstrated by previous work experience.
* Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
* Coursework or relevant job experience in biology, physiology, chemistry and math as evidenced by application materials.
* Experience working with individuals with disabilities as evidenced by application materials.
* Demonstrated experience working with individuals who are blind or have low vision.
* Demonstrated reliability in attendance, evidenced by past employment or instructor references.
* Previous coursework or concurrent enrollment in human and/or mammalian physiology, chemistry through organic chemistry, and introductory level calculus or higher.
* Excellent verbal communication skills as demonstrated by the interview.
* Experience using Canvas and/or Blackboard.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application includes:
* Cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
* Contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor).
* Completion of the online application.
Only complete applications will be considered.
* Application review begins Friday, December 17, 2021 and continues until a pool of qualified applicants is identified.
Contact Information to Applicants
Jessica Little-Greenberg, email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
Advertised Salary Range
$20.00 per hour.
10-15 hours per week. Schedule to be determined by supervisor.
Application Review Begins
Friday, December 17, 2021
Anticipated Start Date
Tuesday, January 11, 2022